- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Ireland: Potato growers receive less than one-fifth of the price consumers pay
Participants of the conference - organised by the Irish Farmers Association (IFA) in association with Bord Bia and Teagasc - were told that pre-pack potatoes are retailing at up to €1,400 per tonne while growers receive less than one-fifth of that.
“Many potato growers are having to sell their crop for less than it costs to produce. That situation cannot be sustained; the price the farmer gets has to rise, just to cover storage costs alone. Retailers and packers have to wake up to that and act now if they want to have a potato industry in the future,” Joe Healy warned.
Independent.ie reported how the IFA President has argued for stronger retail regulations and an efficient retail ombudsman in order to ensure farmers get a fairer share of the retail price. He said it is important that the recommendations of the Agricultural Markets Task Force are implemented to bring greater transparency and fairness to the food chain.
“Growers make an investment of €60 mln each year to cultivate Ireland’s 8,900 hectares of potato and ensure a top quality product is consistently available to packers, supermarkets, and the food service sector. In return, processors and retailers who rely on their product must give them a fair price and stop undermining the market with surplus imports.”
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 India: TechnicoAgri Sciences signs deal with Hutton Institute
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Onion packaging with info for the consumers
- 2018-12-14 Growers enthusiastic about high-yield primed onion seeds from Hazera
- 2018-12-14 Spain: Potato production down by 15-20%
- 2018-12-13 France: “The fresh markets are slowly coming alive”
- 2018-12-13 Algeria: Seed potato imports to increase over the next 3 years
- 2018-12-13 US Onion Market and Crop update for December 13, 2018
- 2018-12-13 Smart Yields brings compelling tech to ag and onions
- 2018-12-13 Farm Credit Canada could ease loan payments for potato farmers
- 2018-12-13 Argentina: Onion campaign improves in the south of Buenos Aires
- 2018-12-13 Price increases for potatoes and onions
- 2018-12-13 Automation of sorting and packing onions continues
- 2018-12-12 The humble onion can determine India’s upcoming elections
- 2018-12-12 China: “Fall in Gansu onion production”
- 2018-12-12 Argentina: First PVY resistant potato will go on sale next year
- 2018-12-12 China will try to grow potatoes on far side of the Moon
- 2018-12-12 Results somewhat down for major UK potato supplier
- 2018-12-12 UK: Potato production hits lowest level since 2012
- 2018-12-11 "Strong European demand for onions encourages Chinese export"
- 2018-12-11 "This is a year with great opportunities for Spanish onions"