- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
14th International Berlin Potato Evening
The President of the World Potato Congress, Romain Cools, greets the guests of the 14th International Berlin Potato Evening. (Source: DKHV)
In his opening speech, DKHV President Thomas Herkenrath called for more attention to discussions on food and agriculture. "Potatoes are an important staple food and can best meet the high ethical demands of consumers and their desire for a healthy diet in cultivation, processing and distribution. The potato industry only has to present itself more self-confidently to the public in order to be perceived more positively by the consumer. This means listening carefully and analyzing the worries, fears and needs of our customers. We constantly have to question ourselves and openly and critically review our production processes in terms of sustainability and necessity. Even though our potato accounts for only a small share of the total agricultural production area, we also bear great responsibility for future generations," said Herkenrath.
For example, many of the DKHV in the past year member companies have focused their activities on the preservation of biodiversity. Flower beds, insect hotels or orchards are valuable measures for this purpose. Herkenrath pointed out that the potato industry has achieved great success: After years of declining potato consumption, sales increased by 1.6% in 2017 compared to the previous year. The work of Kartoffelmarketing GmbH -founded in 2015 through an initiative of the German Potato Trade Association- has contributed significantly to this. And it has taken many successful measures to promote the image of the potato. Herkenrath warmly welcomed the President of the World Potato Congress (WPC), Romain Cools. He was the first European to be elected to this position. The 10th World Potato Congress in Peru, the birthplace of the potato, has the motto ‘A glimpse into the future of the potato: biodiversity, food safety and business’ and offers a comprehensive professional, discussion and excursion program.
Cools cordially invited all European attendees to partake in this extraordinary event in the Cuzco region. And many guests expressed their anticipation of the 15th International Potato Evening, which will take place on February 5, 2019 in Berlin.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 India: TechnicoAgri Sciences signs deal with Hutton Institute
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Onion packaging with info for the consumers
- 2018-12-14 Growers enthusiastic about high-yield primed onion seeds from Hazera
- 2018-12-14 Spain: Potato production down by 15-20%
- 2018-12-13 France: “The fresh markets are slowly coming alive”
- 2018-12-13 Algeria: Seed potato imports to increase over the next 3 years
- 2018-12-13 US Onion Market and Crop update for December 13, 2018
- 2018-12-13 Smart Yields brings compelling tech to ag and onions
- 2018-12-13 Farm Credit Canada could ease loan payments for potato farmers
- 2018-12-13 Argentina: Onion campaign improves in the south of Buenos Aires
- 2018-12-13 Price increases for potatoes and onions
- 2018-12-13 Automation of sorting and packing onions continues
- 2018-12-12 The humble onion can determine India’s upcoming elections
- 2018-12-12 China: “Fall in Gansu onion production”
- 2018-12-12 Argentina: First PVY resistant potato will go on sale next year
- 2018-12-12 China will try to grow potatoes on far side of the Moon
- 2018-12-12 Results somewhat down for major UK potato supplier
- 2018-12-12 UK: Potato production hits lowest level since 2012
- 2018-12-11 "Strong European demand for onions encourages Chinese export"
- 2018-12-11 "This is a year with great opportunities for Spanish onions"