- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
High prices expected for Egyptian violet artichokes
Although it's now grown in Egypt, the most popular variety, the Violette, actually originates from France. The purple hue is visually very popular amongst consumers eating the artichoke fresh.
"Most of our artichokes are exported to Italy, but we are observing that, as the world gets smaller from globalisation, people are becoming more aware of the heart-healthy vegetable, with new demand reaching beyond the Mediterranean. The artichoke really is one of the healthiest vegetables around; high in zinc and iron, and is really beneficial to the heart and the circulatory system," shared Sadek.
Sadek said that they will be selling the artichokes for fresh consumption in the coming 3 months and that the violet hue on the artichokes will only become more striking as time progresses. The company also sells artichoke hearts in salted water, along with frozen, to be processed, which are available all year round.
Current demand is stable and the current average price is coming in at around 20 euro cents per piece.
"Beyond our current markets, we would be very interested in dealing with the Scandinavian market directly. Right now, primarily because of transport costs, our artichokes are being sent to Barendrecht (NL) or Hamburg first. I really think that there is some good potential in that market for our healthy product."
For more information:
ZAGO BH D.O.O
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Dehydrated garlic, gentler smell but stronger taste
- 2018-12-14 Marcel van der Pluijm starts Feeling Fresh
- 2018-12-14 Paraguay: A new variety of cabbage offers advantages to producers
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Unusual November heatwave compromised mushroom production
- 2018-12-14 Squash fruits in South Africa: First report of soft rot
- 2018-12-14 Pink garlic from Billom on the Unesco Intangible Heritage List
- 2018-12-14 China: Demand for organic sweet potato exceeds supply
- 2018-12-13 "Stable export of freshly frozen peppers to Korea"
- 2018-12-13 China garlic market analysis: Reduced surface area gives hope for price rise in 2019
- 2018-12-13 Spain: Vega Baja artichoke campaign starts with some delay
- 2018-12-13 US Retail managers: Lettuce is back, but at higher prices
- 2018-12-13 Comparison between open field and greenhouse tomatoes
- 2018-12-13 UK carrot trade better than expected
- 2018-12-13 Philippines: Iloilo City wants to replicate Chinese mushroom technology
- 2018-12-13 China: "Yunnan Vegetables" sell in more than 40 countries
- 2018-12-13 China: Bok choy price recovers as weather turns colder
- 2018-12-13 New US mushroom meat alternative: 'Pulled port'
- 2018-12-13 Delicata market developing in North America
- 2018-12-12 "Shimeji has great potential, but substrate production is very sensitive"
- 2018-12-12 Biostimulants improve the nutritional value of iceberg lettuce