- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Low supplies in Europe after banana producers destroyed 'excess' harvest
"The banana harvest in Central America during September and October was so huge, that many producers there decided to destroy 'excess' bananas, which has caused supplies to go down significantly in October and November," said Szulc.
Current production levels are somewhat normal, despite levels being below previous forecasts in Costa Rica, Colombia and Ecuador.
"Along with decreased quality because of the cold weather, we also have smaller volumes arriving to Europe and what we have here is very expensive. Banana prices in the tropics are super high and many importers decreased volumes because of high risk.
Szulc said that it was also important to keep in mind that the hurricane that hit Martinique and the Dominican Republic a few months ago has also had an impact on supplies.
"At the time, we weren't too concerned with the losses here in Europe because it was during a period where there was low demand. Now that demand has increased, we are really missing bananas."
For more information:
Citronex Sp. zoo
Tel : +48 75 77 21 943
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-07 Samoa back on track with banana export to New Zealand
- 2018-12-07 China: Will the banana price recover?
- 2018-12-07 South China banana plantations expecting low temperatures
- 2018-12-07 Philippine banana brand organizes anniversary promotions
- 2018-12-07 Port of Trieste may become gateway for Europe’s banana imports from India
- 2018-12-07 Peru: Banana exports up to October amount to more than $139 million dollars
- 2018-12-07 Ghana exporting plantain to Burkina Faso, Togo and Benin
- 2018-12-06 "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- 2018-12-05 Supermarkets welcome the "new Caribbean banana"
- 2018-12-04 Exhibition "Exotic Taste of Europe": Looking at the European banana
- 2018-12-04 Bolivia opens new banana packing center
- 2018-12-04 Uttar Pradesh: Award-winning ‘Banana King’ earns Rs 4.8 mln per year
- 2018-12-04 Peru: 8,000 organic banana producers will apply ozone technology
- 2018-12-04 "Spain is the main target of banana exporters from third countries competing unfairly in Europe"
- 2018-12-04 The CMA CGM Group renews its West Indian banana transport contract with UGPBAN until 2026
- 2018-12-03 Bolivia: Banana producers lost $1 million due to the blockades
- 2018-11-30 'Eating bananas lowers you blood pressure'
- 2018-11-30 Laos: Banana price advantage is gradually eaten away by rising costs
- 2018-11-30 India: National Research Centre for Bananas warns against new wilt disease
- 2018-11-30 Peru: Chira's organic bananas need water