- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Politicians need to go and have a good look in the mirror at what they are doing"
- Micro-climate in Northern California makes for unique mandarin-growing area
- "There will be considerable pressure on the European grape market in the new year"
- Reducing anxiety: 7 foods that will do the job
- US producers warn of national collard greens shortage
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Economy suffers from dispatch disaster at Frankfurt airport
Air cargo location in Germany is at risk
The reasons for excessive delays are that the cargo handling agents commissioned by the airlines are understaffed, as well as poor traffic control. The DSLV and SLV report that it is not uncommon for transport companies, after waiting for periods of up to ten hours, to return their air freight consignments back to the forwarding warehouses, after the departure slot of the cargo plane has been missed. The situation has also been exacerbated by the significant increase in freight volumes in recent months. Also, more and more import shipments remain at the airport and can only be delivered to customers with massive delays.
Despite considerable efforts by airfreight forwarding companies to cushion the shortcomings attributable to the airlines and their agents, waiting times have dramatically increased over recent weeks. In the meantime, air freight forwarding agents have problems even finding hauliers that are willing to go to Frankfurt airport under these circumstances.
In several talks with the cargo handling agents and airport operator Fraport, DSLV and SLV have called for an immediate improvement of these unacceptable conditions. The former have now committed to hiring additional staff and to optimize traffic control at the loading and unloading ramps.
However, the freight forwarding associations point out that despite all promises, conditions will hardly change in the next few weeks. According to their assessment, the situation will even become more acute, as the ver.di trade union is currently forcing larger cargo handling agents at the airport to support ongoing collective bargaining. The German economy will therefore have to face further delays in air freight transports by the end of the year, both in terms of imports and exports.
The resulting damage to airfreight shippers and their customers is already immense and must be borne by those responsible: the airlines and the cargo handling agents they use. Unfortunately, the airlines have so far not dealt adequately with this situation, say DSLV and SLV. If they do not want to jeopardise Europe's most important air cargo location and their own business model, they must ignore the situation no longer, say the freight forwarding associations.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-11 Cool Port wrests itself from start-up problems
- 2018-12-11 CMA CGM to help develop Port of Odessa
- 2018-12-11 "Strikes in Valparaíso affect Chile's foreign trade image"
- 2018-12-10 Zhengzhou adds Vietnam as new freight train destination
- 2018-12-07 Emirates SkyCargo: Fifth anniversary of Ecuador freight operations
- 2018-12-07 DP World Posorja has financing of $377 million
- 2018-12-06 CMA CGM and Freightos sign landmark agreement advancing digitization in the shipping industry
- 2018-12-05 Maersk: India registers 10% growth containerised trade in Q3 2018
- 2018-12-05 Thai shippers lukewarm on 2019
- 2018-12-05 Chile: Cool Carriers began shipping fresh fruit to the US
- 2018-12-05 Chile and China renew requirements for transport of fresh fruit in cold storage
- 2018-12-05 Spanish citrus severely affected by road blockades on French border
- 2018-12-04 Production expansion in West Africa a growth market for transporters
- 2018-12-04 Give your truck wings and improve the aerodynamics
- 2018-12-04 Ecuador’s longest bridge to benefit the Port of Guayaquil
- 2018-11-30 Maersk in talks with Chinese shipyard for ten box ships
- 2018-11-30 New Zealand: Napier Port eyes more apple and kiwifruit exports
- 2018-11-30 Peru: Hamburg Süd resumes its weekly direct service between Paita and Philadelphia
- 2018-11-29 Opportunities for Hamburg through "New Silk Road" from Asia to Europe
- 2018-11-29 Mangaluru Airport, India: Vegetable flights to Gulf hit cargo record