- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
High quality frozen onions: Mission impossible?
Despite the difficulties, finding out a way to solve the issue is more important than ever, with frozen ready to eat products in high demand as busy consumers feel they don't have the time to handle and prepare products like onions.
Currently, the largest producers of onion and onion products are China, India, the United States, and Egypt.
Carmen Popescu from Octofrost said that processors could actually increase the amount of frozen onion they produce per hour, from 3,5 ton per hour to 4 – 4,5 ton for example if they follow the correct steps.
"In order to achieve good quality frozen onion, the pre-treatment and freezing equipment are the most important elements. After peeling and dicing, it is recommended to cool the onion to +10C. For a good separation and spreading during the freezing process, onion processors are recommended to use a shaker in the infeed arrangement," said Carmen.
"Our IQF tunnel freezer has perforated bedplates and adjustable fan speeds, which, together with the design of the freezer, achieves the optimal aerodynamics. The design makes it possible to crust freeze the onion without lump formation or overblow into the coil area. The product really behaves as a liquid, which is why you can without a doubt say that the freezer creates true fluidization inside the freezing zone."
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 India: TechnicoAgri Sciences signs deal with Hutton Institute
- 2018-12-14 Italy: Onion packaging with info for the consumers
- 2018-12-14 Growers enthusiastic about high-yield primed onion seeds from Hazera
- 2018-12-14 Spain: Potato production down by 15-20%
- 2018-12-13 France: “The fresh markets are slowly coming alive”
- 2018-12-13 Algeria: Seed potato imports to increase over the next 3 years
- 2018-12-13 US Onion Market and Crop update for December 13, 2018
- 2018-12-13 Smart Yields brings compelling tech to ag and onions
- 2018-12-13 Farm Credit Canada could ease loan payments for potato farmers
- 2018-12-13 Argentina: Onion campaign improves in the south of Buenos Aires
- 2018-12-13 Price increases for potatoes and onions
- 2018-12-13 Automation of sorting and packing onions continues
- 2018-12-12 The humble onion can determine India’s upcoming elections
- 2018-12-12 China: “Fall in Gansu onion production”
- 2018-12-12 Argentina: First PVY resistant potato will go on sale next year
- 2018-12-12 China will try to grow potatoes on far side of the Moon
- 2018-12-12 Results somewhat down for major UK potato supplier
- 2018-12-12 UK: Potato production hits lowest level since 2012
- 2018-12-11 "Strong European demand for onions encourages Chinese export"
- 2018-12-11 "This is a year with great opportunities for Spanish onions"