- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Next year London Gateway will be the key UK port for Southern Hemisphere"
Despite opening only three years ago, DP World London Gateway, a fully integrated logistics facility, comprises the UK’s third largest container terminal, a rail head and land for the largest logistics park in Europe. It is owned and operated by Dubai-based port operator and logistics company DP World.
"It is already the largest chilled container port in the UK with 85% of all chilled containers from the Southern Hemisphere coming here," explains Gavin Knight Managing Director of Halo. "It is already used by all the major shipping companies. There are three berths currently operational, but in the future there are plans for six. Each of these berths can accommodate the huge containers ships already crossing the oceans, and will be able to accommodate the even bigger ships of the future."
Other UK ports have limitations such as not having the capacity for the big vessels and no room to grow or expand, some have trouble due to tidal waters and are forced to close when the weather gets very bad.
Situated right beside the port is DP World London Gateway Logistics park, this is where Halo will be situated. The Logistics Park has planning permission for 10 million sq ft of buildings. At the moment half a million sq ft worth is developed, and there are plans for another half million. Included in this is the Halo project, which will operate from a 110,000 sq ft, multi temperature centre, with frozen and chilled rooms, a processing facility and ripening rooms.
Building for the Halo project will start in January 2018 and should be up and running by the end of the summer.
The Halo project, according to Gavin, will take a huge cost out of the supply chain, seriously reducing road miles and the carbon footprint.
"Next year London Gateway will be the key UK port for Southern Hemisphere product, DP World London Gateway will handle thousands of chilled containers from Southern Hemisphere, by using the services in the port and logistics centre 20+ million miles of road travel could be saved," said Gavin. "It would save the supply chain £50+ million pounds just on inland transport, by bringing the produce straight here the miles are reduced considerably. We will do what has to be done eg. repacking, processing, ripening, then we will then redistribute to the final client anywhere in the UK."
The logistics park is just 8 miles from the M25, and the A13, which connects the port to the M25 is congestion free. This due to investment in the road by the owners of the port.
Other companies have also been quick to see the benefit of investing here, £110 million has been invested by UPS, the company's biggest ever investment outside the US and all the major shipping lines are already going into London Gateway.
For more information:
Tel: +44 7825 862 465
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-18 Chile: Fruit exporters demand an equitable port law
- 2018-12-17 Latest foldable large container presented
- 2018-12-14 China Easter Airlines in firm first position as global fresh produce carrier
- 2018-12-14 MSC and Traxens launch IOT pilot project to improve terminal efficiency
- 2018-12-14 French fresh produce storage company opens US headquarters
- 2018-12-14 Traffic bans on Christmas Days
- 2018-12-13 Italy: Ocean Alliance & The Alliance launch new service at La Spezia port
- 2018-12-13 Merger of Maersk Brokers and Wonsild Dry
- 2018-12-13 MSC launches Almería-Valencia container line
- 2018-12-13 Etihad Cargo expands air freight capacity for new Barcelona route
- 2018-12-13 Spain: Regular maritime container service to link Almeria and Valencia
- 2018-12-13 Solution to temperature claims in fruit transport
- 2018-12-12 Moody’s downgrades Maersk’s ratings
- 2018-12-12 Evaluation of air cargo and logistics with focus on export to Gulf States
- 2018-12-11 Cool Port wrests itself from start-up problems
- 2018-12-11 CMA CGM to help develop Port of Odessa
- 2018-12-11 "Strikes in Valparaíso affect Chile's foreign trade image"
- 2018-12-10 Zhengzhou adds Vietnam as new freight train destination
- 2018-12-07 Emirates SkyCargo: Fifth anniversary of Ecuador freight operations
- 2018-12-07 DP World Posorja has financing of $377 million