- Farm Manager - India
- Production Manager - Dubai, UAE
- Supply Chain Coordinator - Kudelstaart, Netherlands
- Plant Buyer - Kudelstaart, Netherlands
- Hydroponic Grower - Livingston (Tennessee) USA
- Assistant Grower - Chatham (ON) Canada
- Director - Eastern U.S.
- Commercial Specialist
- Product Development Specialist Tomato
- Customer Service & Supply Chain Seeds
Top 5 -yesterday
- “Weirdest grape growing season I’ve seen in 33 years”
- Could Indian mangoes still make it to the U.S. market this season?
- Bioactive paper coatings to replace plastic for packaging foods
- Perfection Fresh Australia acquires banana business Pacific Coast Produce Marketing
- 'Drought conditions in the west may be worse than the 2001 drought'
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Sweet potato supplies coming out of California are starting to look slim
In turn, demand has been consistent for the sweet potatoes—Yagi sees consistent demand west of the Rocky Mountains but also has some business in the Midwest and the East Coast. That said, it’s coming into the season when demand tends to drop for sweet potatoes with the heat.
Altogether it’s left pricing relatively soft. “Early on, there was a perception that some varieties might be long and people were cautiously selling at lower prices than they should have,” he says. “The market has proven that supplies were not long and they should have been getting better prices all year long.”
Given the tight market, Hutton thinks some holes in supply will be coming. “Some people are not going to be able to fill some orders and probably going to shift over to other sellers. But it’s also the time of year where the usage kind of declines because of the heat,” he says. “It’s always a difficult time of year to predict what’s going to happen because supply is going down and the consumer is consuming less too.”
For more information:
Yagi Brothers Produce Inc.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-05-11 Potato supplier R.S. Cockerill still growing, together with Aldi
- 2021-05-11 Total Canadian potato storage holdings 12.5% below 3-year average on May 1st
- 2021-05-11 Egyptian red onion season underway, yellow onion season was problematic
- 2021-05-10 AHDB’s jacket spud campaign a social success
- 2021-05-10 Cold and wet weather means Bank Holiday weekend did not see much demand
- 2021-05-10 ‘Setting out to change how consumers buy fresh potatoes’
- 2021-05-10 Montana farmers weather COVID and potato viruses
- 2021-05-10 'Demand for French fries, potato chips and table potatoes back to normal'
- 2021-05-10 Scotland develops a taste for chips from Northern Ireland
- 2021-05-10 "Massive drop in peeled product, sales of unpeeled onions at normal level"
- 2021-05-07 "Tough potato exports, new Dutch season hinges on COVID-19"
- 2021-05-07 Italian bunching onions still available on the European markets
- 2021-05-07 Onion farmers in Panama block the Pan-American Highway to demand the government buys their products
- 2021-05-07 Channel trouble: Jersey blockade threatens potato shortage
- 2021-05-07 Potatoes South Africa calls for increased partnerships between commercial, small-scale producers
- 2021-05-07 McDonald's in New Zealand sources its onions locally
- 2021-05-07 New onions, cabbages and cherries are Uzbekistan’s most exported produce
- 2021-05-06 Switzerland: So PotatOh! continues to grow
- 2021-05-06 The climate facilitates the export of new potatoes from southern Italy
- 2021-05-06 Fuentes de Ebro may produce nearly 5 million kilos of onions this season