- Hydroponic Grower - Livingston (Tennessee) USA
- Assistant Grower - Chatham (ON) Canada
- Director - Eastern U.S.
- Commercial Specialist
- Product Development Specialist Tomato
- Customer Service & Supply Chain Seeds
- Business Development Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower - Harrisonburg (VA) USA
- Teamleider Veredeling - Rijsenhout
- Head Grower - Telangana, India
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
South African fruit & veg processing employed 15,000 in 2016
There were 55,105 people employed in food processing activities during the second quarter of 2016, with an estimated 15,000 working directly in factories processing fruit and vegetables. Due to the industry's close linkages with primary agriculture, fruit and vegetable processing also supports more than 100,000 on-farm labourers.
Growth and Consolidation
While horticultural production fluctuates and the industry experiences occasional supply shortages, the sector is expanding and consolidating. Overall the total volume of purchases for processing has increased, driven by investment into processing facilities and the consequent expansion of processing capacity.
The consolidation of the sector has been driven in recent years by the Rhodes Food Group, which has acquired a number of companies involved in fruit and vegetable manufacturing.
Importance of Exports
The fruit and vegetable processing sector supplies both foreign and local markets and according to the South African Fruit and Vegetable Canners Export Council, some 82% of locally canned fruit is exported annually.
In 2015 the industry exported processed fruit and vegetables to the value of R7.77bn, with fruit juice accounting for nearly 50% of this figure. Although the United Kingdom, the European Union and North America have historically been the country's primary international markets, China has been identified as the fastest-growing export market for processed fruit products.
The full report on Preserving and Processing of Fruit and Vegetables in South Africa 2016 can be found here.
For more information:
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-05-05 Processing fresh raw materials makes a real difference when it comes to health and flavor
- 2021-04-28 Work starts on £6 mln UK potato protein extraction facility
- 2021-04-26 Dole and McDonald's launching fat-free golden pineapple sorbet in China
- 2021-04-26 "With this new range, we want to reflect the new needs of the market"
- 2021-04-23 Dutch company introduces fruit popsicles
- 2021-04-21 'Processed potato dumping is going on in New Zealand, but not bad enough to apply tariffs'
- 2021-04-20 Ghana: Crops Research Institute develops tomato jam to combat post-harvest losses
- 2021-04-19 Cote d’Ivoire: CFA 3.27 billion Swiss factory inaugurated
- 2021-04-16 'Crispy Green Go' campaign set to high gear
- 2021-04-16 Vaccination campaign pushes exports to Northern Europe
- 2021-04-15 Dr. Praeger’s launch new Cauliflower Veggie Burger
- 2021-04-15 Off-season for Kenyan avocados will raise prices for fruit and avocado oil
- 2021-04-14 Japan: First vegan fruit sandwich shop offers mango treats
- 2021-04-14 Mixed fruit jams based on the use of eggplant
- 2021-04-13 New hot honey product features datil peppers
- 2021-04-12 Industrial tomatoes between stock management and planning
- 2021-04-12 McCain invests in local production facility in Russia
- 2021-04-09 Connecting guacamole deeper with sports
- 2021-04-02 New range of regional processed products
- 2021-03-31 Traditional jams proposed in a tube format