- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Chiquita looks to cancel lease at Port Everglades
The move does not impact Chiquita’s headquarters at the Design Center of the Americas in Dania Beach, where it moved in 2015. Chiquita also has a separate warehouse lease at the port for a banana ripening facility that would remain in place.
Chiquita first leased space at Port Everglades in 2013, according to a county memo. In 2013, the company extended its lease to Sept. 30, 2018.
In 2014, Chiquita signed a deal with Mediterranean Shipping Co. (MSC) to provide cargo service for its bananas, so Chiquita started using MSC’s facilities at Port Everglades for its shipments. Then in 2015, Chiquita was sold to Cutrale-Safra.
Port Everglades officials contacted Chiquita about its plans and the company said it wanted to divest its terminal and base all of its shipments out of MSC’s terminal, the county memo said.
Under the proposed termination deal to be executed by March 1, Chiquita would pay the county a $500,000 termination fee. The company would be responsible for any damage or remediation required at the property and the county would return a $300,000 letter of credit to Chiquita.
"The early termination of the Chiquita lease agreement will benefit the port by creating opportunities for the currently dormant Chiquita land and the warehouse and office space to be made available for other Port users to expand their businesses and generate new revenue through both ship calls and cargo throughput,” the county memo stated. "The port will also continue to receive grid revenue from Chiquita for the 6.59 acre parcel they will continue to use."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-13 Chinese banana prices stable with slight increases
- 2021-01-12 Despite the pandemic, Panamanian banana exports grew in 2020
- 2021-01-12 Bolivia seeks to boost banana exports to the European market
- 2021-01-12 Paraguay's banana exports increase by 33%
- 2021-01-12 Banana exports Cameroon down by 8% in 2020
- 2021-01-12 Australia: Panama disease threatens Coffs Harbour banana plantations
- 2021-01-12 Bananas from Belize at £0.86: 30% rise from last week
- 2021-01-11 'INI Farms has more than 5000 farmers, located in eight Indian states'
- 2021-01-08 Tamil Nadu banana growers welcome new Farm laws
- 2021-01-08 Honduras' banana sector needs $40 million to ensure the next banana harvest
- 2021-01-05 Russia rejects 23 tons of Ecuadorian bananas
- 2021-01-05 India’s Grand Nain banana struck by dangerous mutant fungus strain
- 2021-01-05 Philippines - South Korea banana export deal still out
- 2021-01-05 Ecuadorian bananas start 2021 with a new price scheme
- 2020-12-24 Colombia's banana sector aspires to achieve exports of $1 billion in 2021
- 2020-12-22 The first organic banana cluster is established in Piura
- 2020-12-22 Current average week price for Gala apples at £0.94 /kg
- 2020-12-21 "Chinese new middle-class is ‘a promising market’ for goods from the Philippines"
- 2020-12-21 Looking back on the Chinese market for imported bananas
- 2020-12-21 Sustainable recyclable banana bag gains popularity in Latin America