Certified organic mushroom production up 40 percent

Total volume of the US 2014-2015 mushroom crop amounted to 953 million pounds, up 6 percent from last season. Value of sales is $1.23 billion, up 10 percent from the previous season. The reported average price is $1.29 per pound, up 5 cents from a year earlier.

Agaricus mushrooms largest category
With 931 million pounds, Agaricus mushrooms make up the largest share of mushroom volume. The majority, 63 percent, of Agaricus mushrooms is grown in Pennsylvania and California ranks second with 11 percent of sales volume.

The value of the Agaricus crop was estimated at $1.15 billion dollars, up 10 percent from a year ago. Brown mushrooms, including Portabello and Crimini varieties, accounted for 161 million pounds, up 5 percent from last season. Brown mushrooms accounted for 17 percent of the total Agaricus volume sold and 21 percent of the total Agaricus value. 

Growers reported United States fresh market production made up 90 percent of total sales volume, while processed production represented the remaining 10 percent. 

Specialty mushrooms - Shiitake, Oyster and all other exotics 
Value of sales for commercially grown specialty mushrooms in 2014-2015 totaled 75.2 million, up 14 percent from the 2013-2014 season. A specialty grower is defined as having at least 200 natural wood logs in production or some commercial indoor growing area, and $200 or more in sales. The average price per pound received by growers, at $3.49, was down 21 cents from the previous season. 

Certified organic category growth 
Production of certified organic mushrooms increased significantly during the 2014-2015 season. In total, growers produced 60.7 million pounds of certified organic mushrooms, an increase of 40 percent compared to 2013-2014. Agaricus mushrooms made up 72 percent of total certified organic sales.

Although certified organic production increased significantly, it still represents only 4 percent of 2014-2015 total mushroom sales.

Click here to access the full report.


Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber