- Cultivation specialist Floriculture
- Technical Sales Specialist - Canada
- Crop Supervisor - Australia
- Senior Business development- / Sales Manager - The Netherlands
- Global VP of Sales & Marketing
- Product Manager - Europe
- Product Manager, Horticulture - De Lier, the Netherlands
- Chief Executive Officer - Tropical North Queensland (Tully) Australia
- Head Grower in USA
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
- “Jackfruit as a meat-replacement is a winning product”
- Kenya agriculture leaders set for first-of-its-kind summit to tackle sector challenges
- Brazilian ginger grows market share as low-volume Chinese season is expected
- Late grape season may provide some relief for some Australian exporters after coronavirus disruptions
- The number of containers with Chilean fruit stranded in China rises to 2,300
Top 5 -last week
- Coronavirus creates demand for New Zealand organic apples
- Tight avo market but Fuertes from Tzaneen will start picking up
- Chinese exports and imports feel the impact of coronavirus
- Avocado's water consumption is proportional to its nutritional value
- Saturated citrus market causes falling prices in US
Top 5 -last month
India: Bacterial blight affects pomegranate quality up to 70%
As a result, prices have been impacted by 30% compared to the previous season, Prabhakar Chandane, chairman, Maharashtra Pomegranate Growers Research Association, said. Prices of the fruit are Rs 40-50 per kg for the domestic market and Rs 70-80 per kg for export markets, he said.
While meagre exports to West Asia continue, farmers are finding it difficult to meet the requirement of residue- free fruit for European markets, Chandane pointed out.
For last 2 to 3 years, pomegranate crop has been badly affected by bacterial blight disease on large scale where the spots are initially black and round and surrounded by bacterial ooze. The disease may cause up to 90% yield reduction.
According to Chandane, the crop has been affected in Nashik, Indapur and some regions of Marathwada.
Pomegranate is mostly grown in semi-arid tehsils of Solapur, Sangli, Satara, Ahmednagar, Pune and Nashik districts. Maharashtra contributes 90% of the country’s total pomegranate production.
Chandane says the association has this time sought the assistance of the Mahatma Phule Krishi University in the state and scientists of the university have given the association an assurance that the help is on hand. A bio-technologist will be provided to the association to offer guidance to farmers and the next meeting will be held on August 7, he said.
Besides, the association has decided to form a research team with the university on how to control the disease. Last year in Indapur region near Pune, the crop was affected by oily spot disease causing a loss of R100 crore to farmers.
According to Chandane, some 20 containers are going to West Asia every week, but no fruit is available for European markets. Maharashtra exported a record 40,000 tonne of pomegranates in 2014-15 season, up nearly 33% compared to the previous season.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-02-21 India: Prolonged monsoon and climatic change disrupts Alphonso mangoes
- 2020-02-21 Chinese pineapple market experiences difficulty with deliveries
- 2020-02-21 10,000 tons of Peruvian mango can't be exported to China because of the coronavirus
- 2020-02-21 Vietnamese fresh lychee exports welcome in Japan
- 2020-02-20 Camposol seeks to expand its marketing window for avocados and mandarins
- 2020-02-20 Malaysia: Price of Mao Shan Wang dropping
- 2020-02-20 Vietnam: Dragon fruit price triples unexpectedly
- 2020-02-20 Indian mango farmers fear heavy crop losses
- 2020-02-20 Dragon fruit dye to replace synthetic products
- 2020-02-19 "After considerable price increases for avocados, prices seems to be stabilising again"
- 2020-02-19 Peruvian mango exports amounted to $ 70.8 million in January
- 2020-02-19 Peruvian avocado exports are expected to exceed 359,000 tons in 2020
- 2020-02-19 Chilean avocados are just steps away from entering South Korea
- 2020-02-19 Nepal: Dhankuta farmers enamoured by avocados
- 2020-02-19 Avocados in Kenya: what’s holding back smallholder farmers?
- 2020-02-18 Israel imported 651,000 4-kg cartons of avos into EU in Week 7
- 2020-02-18 Kenyan avocado exports resuming
- 2020-02-18 "Good demand for Spanish avocados"
- 2020-02-18 Europe and the US are the biggest markets for Panama's pineapple
- 2020-02-18 From oranges to kakis, and from kakis to avocados