- Farm Manager greenhouse vegetable production – Vietnam
- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- San Bernardino County, California, quarantined due to HLB detection in single citrus tree
- Package with avocados in different ripening stages launched
- Largest single-build greenhouse in North America nears completion
- “The violence is inherent to the regions, not to the avocados”
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL GINGER MARKET
Zimbabwe: Poor rainfall affects apple production
High production of apples was only realised between 1990 and 2006 when the country produced 6 500 metric tonnes from 220 hectares.
"Our output has dropped significantly owing to changes taking place at the main commercial producers such Nyanga Downs, Nyamagaya Orchards and Claremont Estates which have orchards that have been planted between 1966 and 1969," said Mr Buwu.
"The situation has also been worsened by the influx of imports from South Africa. All imports recorded are from South Africa which is a single supplier of apples in the Southern African region markets."
He said there was no fresh produce export trade agreements between the two countries and the imports were illegal and facilitated by third parties.
South Africa is the main apple producer in the Sadc region. It produces 403,790 tonnes a year.
In 2010, Zimbabwe imported about 11 000 tonnes; 2011 (15 000); 2012 (13000) and 12 000 tonnes in 2013.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-04 Argentina: Blueberry season forecasts
- 2019-12-03 Clemson University student studies disease to aid peach industry
- 2019-12-03 Grape production Peru forecast to reach 648,000 tons in 2019/2020
- 2019-12-02 Freak weather hits Western Australian crops
- 2019-12-02 Unique Japanese fruit
- 2019-12-02 80% of Vietnamese dragon fruit is exported to China
- 2019-12-02 Brazil put in place visual quality standards for fruit and vegetables
- 2019-12-02 Fighting the fly that threatens Chile's fruit
- 2019-11-29 Fruit production Romania is up 40% in last decade
- 2019-11-29 "After a difficult year in 2019, it's reassuring that fruit cooperatives expect an improvement in 2020."
- 2019-11-29 Australian fruit exporters fear trade loss because of Hong Kong protests
- 2019-11-29 Argentine fruit growers continue to struggle with production costs, difficult economic & financial environment
- 2019-11-27 China will remain the largest buyer
- 2019-11-27 SCS425 Luiza, an apple cultivar for Brazilian market
- 2019-11-26 China promotes export of fruit from Hunan
- 2019-11-26 Clove essential oil loaded chitosan nanoparticles preserve the shelf life of pomegranate arils
- 2019-11-25 Chile’s fresh apple, table grape and pear supplies to drop over 2019/2020
- 2019-11-25 Plea to help reduce strawberry farm costs
- 2019-11-22 Imported fruit to see boost in sales
- 2019-11-21 Peaches in summer, persimmons in winter