- Processing & Quality Management Director - Made, The Netherlands or Sderot/Brurim, Israel
- Aankomend Int. Export Manager jonge groenteplanten
- Director of Hydroponic Production - Madrid, Spain
- Non-Executive Directors
- Horticultural Sales Manager - Fruit Industry, Europe
- Sales Representative - New South Wales (Australia)
- Business Development Coordinator - New Zealand
- Greenhouse Production Manager - Heho (Shan State) Myanmar
- Account Manager Benelux
- Inkoop Specialist AGF - Bleiswijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: Case against garlic cartel
In a speech read by Justice Secretary Leila de Lima at the 1st National Competition Conference at the Philippine International Convention Center in Pasay City, Aquino said the Office for Competition (OFC) under the DOJ is responsible for investigating the staggering 74 percent increase in the price of garlic from June 2013 to June 2014.
According to Aquino, the OFC discovered that the drastic increase in garlic prices could not be attributed to a shortage in supply, but rather to a single group that was on the receiving end of import permits, allowing them to corner supply and dictate the prices of garlic.
This initial report allowed authorities to look into more anomalous transactions and in light of their findings, the President ordered the DOJ to develop a case against the cartel.
Aquino added that competition policies are one of the ways to protect the interest of people, specifically their rights as consumers.
The President said the playing field could only be considered truly leveled when a company’s share of the market was determined primarily by their ability to innovate and by their drive to provide the best quality services and products at a right price. “Unfortunately, that is not always the case.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-14 Chilean kiwifruit brand Sweeki advances on Chinese market
- 2019-06-14 11 thousand tons of Vietnamese lychees enter Chinese market
- 2019-06-14 Mexico plans to export avocados to Japan
- 2019-06-14 NZ: Kiwifruit smaller but sweeter
- 2019-06-13 Peru needs to strengthen commercial ties with Brazil
- 2019-06-13 Mexico conducts research to improve soursop yields
- 2019-06-13 California to have avocado crop year-round
- 2019-06-12 South African avocados: “Prices aren’t crazy, but good” as much smaller crop comes in
- 2019-06-12 Zespri to decide whether to go commercial with red kiwifruit by the end of the year
- 2019-06-12 "The avocado sector is about to undergo radical changes"
- 2019-06-11 Influx of jackfruit into US market
- 2019-06-10 Colombia plans to export a thousand tons of cape gooseberry this year
- 2019-06-10 Superfoods Peru reaches commercial agreements worth US $13 million
- 2019-06-10 China: Rising price of Yulin lychees gains momentum
- 2019-06-10 Malaysian planters began to expand durian industry several years ago
- 2019-06-10 Spain: "The quality of avocados should be more important than the price"
- 2019-06-10 Sea algae research could hold solution to devastating kiwifruit disease
- 2019-06-10 Over supply of mangoes in Philippines due to El Niño
- 2019-06-10 Peru: The market for rambutan has potential for growth in the EU
- 2019-06-10 Peru fears competition from Colombian avocados