- Hydroponic Grower - Livingston (Tennessee) USA
- Assistant Grower - Chatham (ON) Canada
- Director - Eastern U.S.
- Commercial Specialist
- Product Development Specialist Tomato
- Customer Service & Supply Chain Seeds
- Business Development Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower - Harrisonburg (VA) USA
- Teamleider Veredeling - Rijsenhout
- Head Grower - Telangana, India
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
AU: FTA with Korea to be game-changing for cherry exporters
Regarding the market situation, Simon says that it is still early to be certain, “but we’ve had lots of enquiries from the Asian region, with plenty of interest from China and Hong Kong. We are also back into the Thai market, but the real game-changer is the FTA signed between Korea and Australia, which will eliminate the 23% import fee and may come into force in early 2015.”
There is also rising demand from other countries in the area, such as Malaysia and the Philippines. “Overall, there is growing demand in Asia, which is easy for us to cover, because we can ship to any Asian destination within 8 to 10 hours, which is a very competitive advantage,” states Simon.
The domestic market is also quite strong. According to Simon, “in the last couple of years 30% of the production has gone to exports and 70% to the domestic market, but we aim towards 50/50. Hong Kong already takes about 50% of our exports and we continue to expand on our four key markets,” concludes Simon Boughley.
For more information:
Cherry Growers Australia
Tel: 0061 3 6231 1229
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-05-05 "By extending the UK season we avoid the unnecessary food miles from imported strawberries at this time of year.”
- 2021-05-05 Egyptian grape season started, three weeks earlier than expected
- 2021-05-05 Organic apple importer differentiates by importing as well as growing in-country
- 2021-05-05 Delayed start for domestic blueberry volumes
- 2021-05-05 Japan frustrated by Chinese and Korean strawberry and whisky copycats
- 2021-05-05 Malaysia: Ministry wants local fruit exported via airasia farm
- 2021-05-05 IPS created subsidiary in South Africa
- 2021-05-05 Strawberry prices plummeting in China
- 2021-05-05 Almeria's melons and watermelons achieve good prices at the beginning of the season
- 2021-05-05 The study to obtain new cherry varieties in the Guadalentin Valley advances
- 2021-05-05 The province of Almeria produced more than half of the watermelons that Spain exported in 2020
- 2021-05-05 Celebration caps successful season for South African table grapes in China
- 2021-05-05 "Our new greenhouses mean we can meet the early demand for redcurrants, raspberries even better"
- 2021-05-05 Key challenges of the Chilean cherry industry
- 2021-05-05 "Until mid-May there will be an apricot shortage of about 50%"
- 2021-05-05 Marisol strawberry, excellent characteristics in both traditional and soilless cultivation
- 2021-05-05 medFEL publishes European apricot harvest estimates
- 2021-05-05 Collaboration and investment signals bright future for Australia’s apple and pear industry
- 2021-05-05 New-gen rootstocks deliver earlier and more production
- 2021-05-04 Wholesale fruit prices drop in Punjab, Pakistan