- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Philippines: Higher mango output eyed
If this is achieved, based on Bureau of Agricultural Statistics data, mango production would reach 882,838 MT by 2016 at last year’s planting hectarage, or an increase of 8.16% compared with 2013 production. The Philippines produced 816,199 MT of mango last year.
“Let us zero in on mango. We have all the plus factors, right soil and climate for year-round production, and one of the best mango varieties in the world like the Carabao mango,” Agriculture Sec. Proceso J. Alcala was quoted as saying in a press release.
Last year, the country planted 187,838 hectares with the high-value crop, a slight decrease from 188,617 in 2012, although production still went up by 6.24% year-on-year. The increase was attributed to the absence of calamities in major producing regions.
The Ilocos Region is the country’s top mango-producing region, producing 32% of the country’s output last year.
Mango production makes up 1.91% of the total value of production in agriculture at constant prices. Production value was recorded at P14.85 billion in 2013.
The Philippines’ processed mango export was valued at $35.33 million in 2013, while dried mango exports were valued at $30.76 million.
Meanwhile, Mr. Alcala said that the DA is partnering with the Philippine Mango Industry Foundation, Inc. in a P15.6 million “Mango Producers Empowerment Program” to be implemented in 22 provinces in the country.
Mr. Alcala said the DA has completed a series of consultations with the mango industry, and the department can now “focus on speeding up the procurement process for the various supports” they have agreed on.
Recently, the United States Animal Plant Health Inspection service has cleared all Philippine provinces for mango exports to the US, except Palawan.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-06 Rouses Markets attempts ‘world’s largest avocado display’
- 2019-12-06 "The Avo Effect" phenomenon catalogued in video series
- 2019-12-06 “The violence is inherent to the regions, not to the avocados”
- 2019-12-06 China targeted by Cambodian mango exporters
- 2019-12-06 Supplies of Caribbean Red Papaya up
- 2019-12-05 This year's Alphonso mangoes came from Malawi
- 2019-12-05 Philippine durians captivate American taste buds
- 2019-12-05 Peruvian fresh mango exports increase by 49%
- 2019-12-05 Costa Rica: Pineapples and marijuana illegally grown in protected wild areas
- 2019-12-05 “World avocado market is worth at least $9 billion globally”
- 2019-12-04 Sarawak tells Malaysian state Agriculture Dept to find spots for fruit cultivation
- 2019-12-04 Citrus growers branch into avocado plantings
- 2019-12-04 Hass supply into Europe; almost same levels as last year
- 2019-12-02 Dominican avocados shipped to China soon
- 2019-12-02 Australia: Darwin sees record mango production
- 2019-12-02 Student initiative develops paper from pineapple crowns and leaves
- 2019-12-02 China may greenlight Cambodian mango exports
- 2019-12-02 Chinese firm considers billion dollar investment for Davao durian
- 2019-11-29 Southern Philippines: Mindanao will export mangoes to Malaysia & Indonesia
- 2019-11-29 Kenya and the global Avocado Craze