- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
- Indian grape season will start with lower volumes
- "The rains have forced us to stop the harvest and delay the loading"
- Global apple production from 1961 to 2017
- “We deactivate Gram negative bacteria such as E.coli”
- Introducing new slashing equipment on banana plantation has proved to be a real time-saver
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Nepal: Surge in garlic imports raises suspicions
According to the Biratnagar Customs Office, 1,797 tonnes of garlic worth Rs 59.84 million were imported during the first quarter. However, in the whole of the last fiscal year, imports of the popular spice amounted to 2,135 tonnes valued at Rs 97.27 million.
“Comparing the import figures of the first quarter of this year and the whole of the last fiscal year, it is clear that imports have soared this year,” said an official of the customs office. “It has given ample space for doubting the purpose of the massive imports.”
Police said that betel nut smugglers had shifted to exporting Chinese garlic after the government hiked the import duty on betel nuts sharply to discourage their re-export. Traders had been re-exporting imported betel nuts as Nepali products after getting a certificate of origin from local chambers of commerce.
The Ministry of Commerce and Supplies has fixed the export quota for domestic garlic at 50,000 tonnes which has led to a surge in imports as local output is much smaller.
Chief of Biratnagar Customs Lab Adhikari said that the process of garlic exports to India as per the quota fixed by the Department of Commerce had begun. “Exports will be conducted based on rules,” he added.
However, the allocation of export quotas for locally grown garlic has raised eyebrows as production is negligible in eastern Nepal. Previously, no garlic used to be exported through Biratnagar Customs, and this is the first time that it is being shipped to India. Most of the country’s requirement of garlic is imported from China while a limited quantity is brought from India. Tirupati Traders, Mijan International and New AB Traders are some of the companies engaged in importing garlic. Traders said that they imported garlic for domestic industry and not for re-export. As garlic production in eastern Nepal is very small, the massive imports have raised suspicion about their objective, according to customs officials.
The Regional Agriculture Directorate, Biratnagar said it had no information about the cultivation of garlic in the 16 districts of eastern Nepal.
Section officer at the agriculture office Sher Bahadur Dewan said that they did not collect data about products which are not commercially grown or are cultivated in small quantities.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-06 Kiwi exports Iran at $97 million last year
- 2019-12-06 Ghana: Western Region invites investment in $400 mln coconut industry
- 2019-12-06 Extreme Indian monsoons positive for Turkish pomegranate exporters
- 2019-12-05 Georgia exported more kakis in October 2019 than in all of 2018
- 2019-12-05 China opens its market to the Dominican avocado
- 2019-12-05 55 million kilos of cherimoyas expected in Spain
- 2019-12-05 Lower kiwi volumes in Italy make for a promising Greek season
- 2019-12-05 Mollar pomegranates from Elche spreading love in Europe
- 2019-12-04 Red-flesh kiwis from China slow in movement domestically, stable in export
- 2019-12-04 Imported granadilla heads into higher demand season
- 2019-12-04 Zespri to commercialise red kiwifruit
- 2019-12-04 Colombia started exporting Hass avocado to China
- 2019-12-04 "Ship with Madagascar lychees expected late next week"
- 2019-12-03 The Peruvian figs from Ancash consolidate in the international markets
- 2019-12-03 Turkish kiwi harvest has concluded with lower volumes
- 2019-12-03 Young man arrested for stealing 1.2 tons of Hass avocados in Granada
- 2019-12-03 Expansion of avocado cultivation in Spain resulting in larger volumes this year
- 2019-12-02 “We can grow all the exotic fruits requested by our clients”
- 2019-12-02 "Avocado market somewhat under pressure but Spain must peak later in the season"
- 2019-12-02 Kiwifruit producers in Europe expect profitable season