- Crop specialist Horticulture (Roses)
- North American Salesperson - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical Sales Agronomist - Switzerland
- International Retail Account Manager Fruit
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Fruit
- Territory Account Manager - Texas, Colorado, and the Toronto/Niagara area of Canada
- National Development Manager, Bravo(TM) Apples - Australia
- Greenhouse Head Grower and Manager - Canada
- Greenhouse operations manager - Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
- Booming South African blueberry industry eyes Asian markets
- Opportunities in the US market come from the great marketing done by the citrus community
- Almost everybody is happy with the new Tomato Suspension Agreement
- Zirkle Fruit to lay off 300 workers in Prosser, WA
- Polish blueberry season recovering, work force needed for manual harvesting
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Enormous, but strange avocado
- Will Asia Fruit Logistica take place in September? Trade show organization offers participants option in December
- Avocado market expected to tighten in coming weeks
- "India can have its place in the avocado growing industry"
- Potato prices double due to shortage in Europe
"Gabriel Berard: "Trade safely with us"
Bretonskiy Koupets, a local help desk for exporters to Russia
Gabriel has been on the Russian market for a while. "I moved to Russia 10 years ago as an executive for a container shipping line. I've seen a lot, especially the difficulties in the reefer imports of fresh produce. That's why I had the idea to create a help desk for shippers."
Working upon recommendations
"The agency developed thanks to the recommendations of its users. My first assignment was supplying two truckloads of cauliflower to the retailer X5 Retail Group in Moscow for "Prince de Bretagne". Today we handle sales, deliveries, surveys upon arrival on behalf of several shippers worldwide and we are physically present in St Petersburg and Moscow."
Harder times for Russian importers
"The Russian market is now going through a difficult time after years of tremendous expansion. The fruit and vegetable consumption doesn't grow anymore. Concentration in the Russian retail sector squeezes profit margins. And importation costs are rising. Many Russian importers find it difficult to stay afloat. Some of them try to transfer losses onto their suppliers."
Unfair claims upon arrival
What a lot of fruit and vegetable companies run into, in the trade with Russia, is claims upon arrival. "There are often unfair claims. Our job consists of getting these problems under control, and so we follow up deliveries and we immediately take a look on site to make sure it's right. We are present at the buyer's warehouse when the products arrive and we defend the interests of 'our' suppliers."
With his experience in the Russian market, Gabriel knows what the Russians want. "Nowadays there are roughly two marketing segments in Russia: the discount market, where cheap products are bought in big volumes at discount prices ; and a niche market for quality products and premium brands." He also sees the Russian retail sector changing rapidly. "Retailers in Russia didn't import anything directly 10 years ago, and now they handle, by themselves, almost 25% of the volumes of fresh fruits & vegetables moving into the country. Big wholesale marketplaces still exist in the major cities, but they may be different in a few years."
When it comes to the future Gabriel sees a growing interest in trading with Russia. "For European exporters, it's important to have a good connection to Russia. Historically, Russian consumers love Europe, and that won't change. In spite of politics, ties between Europe and Russia are getting closer every year in the fresh food business. We contribute to this process at our level."
For more information:
SAS Bretonskiy Koupets
Parc d'Innovation Bretagne Sud
Place Albert Einstein - CP 125
56038 Vannes - Frankrijk
Skype ID: gabrielberard
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-08-23 Chinese Fruit Day and Interstellar Farm announce cooperation
- 2019-08-23 Singapore’s Black River acquires 5% stake in ANI
- 2019-08-23 NORPAC Foods declares bankruptcy
- 2019-08-23 Costa Group half year results; 15% decline in profits
- 2019-08-23 New supply network project will expand Vietnamese retail sector
- 2019-08-22 Zirkle Fruit to lay off 300 workers in Prosser, WA
- 2019-08-22 Organto record revenue for third quarter
- 2019-08-22 Strong fresh produce sales for Q2 2019
- 2019-08-22 Howard Nager joins Progressive Produce
- 2019-08-22 New 21,000m3 post-harvest facility announced in Hastings
- 2019-08-22 2019 Black Box NZ Gold Medal Winner Announced
- 2019-08-21 Mucci Farms acquires Orangeline Farms and announces expansion plans
- 2019-08-21 Two fruit and vegetable companies from Murcia start bankruptcy proceedings
- 2019-08-21 Gina Harlan joins Integrated Fresh Solutions
- 2019-08-21 DHL stops deliveries for Amazon Fresh in Germany
- 2019-08-20 Honeybear Brands adds Business Development Director
- 2019-08-20 Mastronardi and DeJoria launch GIVE partnership in Middle East
- 2019-08-20 AU: Alterra teams up with WA avocado grower
- 2019-08-20 Caito Foods closes Fresh Kitchen - Indianapolis
- 2019-08-20 Make a real impact with good starting material