- Construction Project Manager - Tri-State (CT, NY, NJ) USA
- Private Equity Associate - San Francisco (CA) USA
- Quality Manager
- Sales Manager Europe
- Agronomist & Supply Coordinator - EMEA territory
- Grower - Tasmania (berries) - Australia
- Category Manager - Sydney Markets, Australia
- Independent Sales & Business Development Representative, USA
- Experienced Tomato Grower, North America
- Breeder - Xiamen, China
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Crowd investment campaign for hydroponic greenhouse kits
- Fresh marketer connects Namibia and South Africa
- Off-season for Kenyan avocados will raise prices for fruit and avocado oil
- Statement from AgroFair about banana disease discovery in Peru (Foc TR4)
- Polish apple trees hardly affected by recent frost
Top 5 -last month
Ecuador exported 253 million boxes of bananas in 2013
Last year’s banana exports are still lower than the peak reached in 2011, when exports amounted to 285 million boxes.
According to Eduardo Ledesma, the sector’s executive director, the country exports 5.1 million boxes of bananas per week, but projections are not encouraging after the high season (February, March and April).
Ledesma admitted that they had lost presence in Europe because their competitors, Colombia, Peru and Central America, have higher tariff preferences due to the trade agreements they have with the European Union.
There are also problems in the U.S., where there was a decline in exports in this year’s first two weeks, as a result of the weather affecting the country.
"There is a problem with the weather as it is too cold, the seas have frozen and there are problems marketing on the east coast. All of this decreases the demand," said Gustavo Marún, president of Agroban.
The banana sector expects to produce 280 million boxes of bananas in 2014, but "it’s still uncertain where we are going to place our fruit abroad, the only alternative we have is to sign an agreement with the European Union," he added.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-03-31 Uniban exported 44 million boxes of bananas achieving an 18% increase in shipments in 2020
- 2021-03-30 Ecuadorian banana exports decrease in 2021
- 2021-03-29 "Boxed-ripening works best for bananas and mangoes"
- 2021-03-26 Suez blockade raises concerns for delayed bananas and increased container shortages
- 2021-03-25 US demand for Ecuador bananas increases after hurricanes affected Central America
- 2021-03-24 Spain remains largest EU banana producer, growing and trading 382.339 tons in 2020
- 2021-03-23 Strong market for Dominican organic bananas right now
- 2021-03-22 Indian bananas top pick by overseas importers
- 2021-03-19 Taiwan Technical Mission develops new tool for St. Lucia banana sector
- 2021-03-18 Global Alliance for Cooperation in the Fight against Fusarium R4T
- 2021-03-17 Fyffes commits to reducing food loss in its own operations by 80% by 2030
- 2021-03-16 Shippers turn to other supplying countries for bananas
- 2021-03-15 "Savings effects continue at our banana ripening facility"
- 2021-03-12 “It was an eventful year”
- 2021-03-11 “It’s a rollercoaster year for bananas”
- 2021-03-10 Ontario/Quebec consumers increasingly interested in Fairtrade produce
- 2021-03-09 India has great potential when it comes to bananas
- 2021-03-08 Safer and easier ethylene applications aid in destination ripening
- 2021-03-05 "Importing bananas yourself is a risk that doesn't pay off"
- 2021-03-04 “From March 2020 to date, we have donated 1,248,900 bananas”