- Crop Advisor
- Laboratory Project Manager - Almeria, Spain
- Junior buyer/ seller - Alicante, Spain
- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
Top 5 -yesterday
- New Ontario partnership to build 27 acre greenhouse in Kingsville
- Du Roi Laboratory and Taiwan banana research go for TR4 resistant variety
- Zespri to take civil case in China as illegal gold kiwifruit plantings expand
- Red kiwi variety grants exclusive sub-licences
- South African Airways strike impacts Cape stonefruit exports
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
UK: Researchers, 'super' broccoli might slow arthritis
This special cruciferous vegetable has been bred to be extra rich in nutrients - it is a cross between standard broccoli and a wild relative from Sicily. Our body takes this glucoraphanin compound and turns it into another, called sulforaphane, which appears to protect the joints.
The volunteers will have two weeks on the diet before going under the knife to have their badly arthritic knees repaired by surgeons. Dr Rose Davidson and her team will look at the tissue that has been removed to see what impact, if any, the broccoli has had. She said: "We're asking patients to eat 100g (3.5oz) every day for two weeks. That's a normal, good-sized serving - about a handful - and it's an amount that most people should be happy to eat every day."
While two weeks is highly unlikely to be enough to cause any big change, Dr Davidson hopes it will be enough to offer some evidence that "super" broccoli could benefit humans. "I can't imagine it would repair or reverse arthritis... but it might be a way to prevent it," she said.
Her team will be looking for proof that sulforaphane has travelled to where it is needed in the joint and that it is causing beneficial changes at the cellular level. Another 20 knee replacement patients who have not been on the diet will be used as a comparison group.
Prof Alan Silman, of Arthritis Research UK, which is funding Dr Davidson's work, said: "Until now research has failed to show that food or diet can play any part in reducing the progression of osteoarthritis, so if these findings can be replicated in humans, it would be quite a breakthrough. We know that exercise and keeping to a healthy weight can improve people's symptoms and reduce the chances of the disease progressing, but this adds another layer in our understanding of how diet could play its part."
The special broccoli, known as Beneforte, was developed from publicly funded research at the UK's Institute of Food Research and the John Innes Centre.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-11-21 “Eating fruit and veg may reduce symptoms of asthma”
- 2019-11-18 Eating blueberries and blackberries will help to avoid a sugar spike
- 2019-11-15 Population Latin America and Caribbean struggles to afford nutritious diet
- 2019-11-15 Trying to lose weight? Add papayas to your diet.
- 2019-11-14 “Eat right to keep gestational diabetes at bay”
- 2019-11-14 Diet lacking in fruit and vegetables is linked to depression
- 2019-11-11 Spanish consumers increasingly interested in ‘Free From’ foods
- 2019-11-11 Mushroom extracts might offer immune cell boost
- 2019-11-08 Are Australian apples the secret to antioxidant health products?
- 2019-11-06 “Pineapples help to reduce risk of cancer”
- 2019-11-04 Avocados for weight loss: Ways to include avocado in your diet
- 2019-10-30 One avocado a day helps lower 'bad' cholesterol
- 2019-10-24 “Guavas can help you manage weight and control diabetes”
- 2019-10-22 Adult Ukrainians eat only 50% of advised vegetables and less than 30% of fruits and berries
- 2019-10-21 'Sweet cherry consumption improves sleep and sleep patterns'
- 2019-10-18 Here’s how bananas help in treating piles
- 2019-10-17 Quick and easy fruity packs that will boost your skin health
- 2019-10-16 Kiwifruit is going to be tested as a sleeping aid
- 2019-10-14 Potassium-rich bananas can lower blood pressure
- 2019-10-11 UK: Dietary supplement from tomatoes discovered to boost sperm quality