- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
- Product Manager Premium Beans - Rotterdam, NL
- Crop Consultant - Canada
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Corporate Account Manager - Chilliwack (BC) Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Walmart: $10bln surprise after buying Flipkart
- Kenyan avocado season has mixed results depending on variety
- "Ceremony held for first shipment of cold-treatment-free cherries from Izmir, Turkey"
- "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
Top 5 -last month
USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program increases children's consumption
The study conducted by USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service found that fruit and vegetable consumption increased by a third of a cup among students participating in the program, compared to non-participating students. Increased consumption of fruit accounted for most of the change. The increase in fruit and vegetable consumption through the program doesn’t appear to substantially increase calories in children’s diets.
“These results are very encouraging,” Agriculture Undersecretary Kevin Concannon said. “The Fresh Fruits and Vegetable Program is clearly an excellent way to introduce students to more fruits and vegetables.”
Almost all students tried the fruit and vegetable snacks (97% and 84% of students, respectively); and a substantial majority ate most or all of snacks provided (86% and 61%, respectively), he said. The report describes findings from the evaluation conducted during the 2010–2011 school year.
The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program is popular among schools, students and parents, and effective in increasing children’s fruit and vegetable consumption.
Begun as a pilot in 2002, the program aims to increase fresh prodce consumption among students in the nation’s poorest elementary schools by providing free fresh fruits and vegetables to students outside of regular school meals. The pilot was converted into a nationwide program in the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008, also known as the Farm Bill.
The Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Program is part of a package of USDA programs and initiatives designed to combat child hunger and obesity and improve the health and nutrition of the nation's children, a top priority for the Obama Administration.
USDA recently announced proposed new standards to ensure that children K-12 have access to healthy food options. The “Smart Snacks in School” proposed rule, published in the Federal Register on Feb. 8, 2013, is the first step in the process to create national standards mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-16 Spain's Consumer Organization publishes list of the best stores to buy fruit
- 2019-07-16 Peru's blueberry export increased 68% in first half of 2019
- 2019-07-16 US: Texas border bill to stop produce imports from spoiling at ports-of-entry
- 2019-07-15 Israel’s first digital crop marketplace expected in 2020
- 2019-07-15 Exporters Eastern Cape look back at solid year of performance at AGM
- 2019-07-12 Georgia to increase exports of fruits and vegetables to Kazakhstan
- 2019-07-12 Moldova prepares to present its produce to the European market
- 2019-07-12 Peruvian fruit and vegetable exports amounted to US$1.222 billion between January and May
- 2019-07-11 Florida fruit and veg growers opposing USMCA
- 2019-07-11 Bangladesh-Myanmar trade frustrated at Maungdaw trading point
- 2019-07-11 Netherlands: "TOV under enormous pressure, cucumber market starting to recover, bell pepper prices have long been good"
- 2019-07-11 ‘Fresh produce markets must remain relevant’
- 2019-07-11 Agro-food cooperatives in Spain increase their revenue and generate more employment
- 2019-07-10 National FOB review shows prices, demand and stability of US fruit
- 2019-07-10 New Zealand tomatoes hit lowest price ever in June
- 2019-07-10 Vietnam: First safe vegetable brand La Lanh launched at Big C supermarket
- 2019-07-10 "If you do not have IP amongst your offering you will quickly lose relevance in the market"
- 2019-07-10 New sales opportunities in Egypt
- 2019-07-10 US tomato prices expected to go up following new tariffs
- 2019-07-09 Vietnam fruit and veg exports rise 3.9 percent in H1 2019