- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- Sales Manager
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
Top 5 -yesterday
- "We expect about 8,000 boxes of Egyptian strawberries this season"
- New Colombian grower base expands year-round avocado offering
- “Our goal is to reduce food waste by extending shelf-life”
- Organic avocado pricing becoming more accessible to consumers
- Arunachal kiwi fruit growers try to take on New Zealand
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
NZ: Two kiwifruit per day aids muscle development
The findings of a study by the University of Otago, Christchurch, have been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the world’s most prestigious publication in the field of nutrition science.
New Zealand scientists, led by Professor Margreet Vissers of Otago University’s Centre for Free Radical Research, have used kiwifruit as the vitamin C source in a human clinical research project. Kiwifruit is one of the most nutritious domesticated foods and is particularly high in vitamin C.
The aim of the study was to understand the critical role of vitamin C in the human body and to determine the best way to obtain this from the diet. The finding around muscle health is one aspect of this larger project.
The latest work has found that skeletal muscle is the body’s most labile, and possibly the largest, store of vitamin C, and that muscle levels most accurately reflect vitamin C intake. To reach the optimal vitamin C levels in muscle, which will result in good energy and vitality, dietary intake should also be optimal. If intake drops, then so will muscle levels, as vitamin C cannot be stored for use later.
Vissers says while most people associate a lack of vitamin C with scurvy, this condition reflects extreme deprivation and there are a host of illnesses and conditions which can befall the human body if vitamin C is continually below optimal levels.
Late in 2012, Vissers urged consumers to ensure a kiwifruit was part of their 5+a day fruit and vegetable allowance.
“Not all fruit are created equal, and, surprisingly, most fruit contain only one tenth of a healthy daily vitamin C intake per serve,” Vissers says. “However, we have shown that the addition of two kiwifruit a day will deliver optimal vitamin C and meet your daily recommended dose of this important vitamin, as well as delivering other vital nutrients.”
For this reason, fresh fruit is considered to be far more beneficial than a supplement.
Zespri technical health advisor Lynley Drummond says these results further build the growing body of evidence for the role of kiwifruit in the diet to maintain optimal health, performance and vitality.
For more information:
Tel: +61 027 509 1805
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-11-13 "Turkish pomegranates available directly from their producers, until January"
- 2019-11-13 "The marketing potential for organic black garlic is huge"
- 2019-11-13 Uzbekistan no longer in top three of the world’s largest persimmon exporters
- 2019-11-13 Arunachal kiwi fruit growers try to take on New Zealand
- 2019-11-13 Brazilian and Chinese ginger grow closer in pricing, increasing popularity of Brazil’s product
- 2019-11-13 53,000 tons of French kiwis expected this year
- 2019-11-12 Ample California Bitter melon makes for a difficult season
- 2019-11-11 “We hope to have a 120% growth in ginger production this season”
- 2019-11-11 Quince prices increase in southwestern Turkey
- 2019-11-11 Ecuador's cape gooseberry set to enter the US market
- 2019-11-11 Colombia sends its first shipment of Hass avocados to Japan
- 2019-11-08 "Ready-to-eat kiwifruit has big potential in China"
- 2019-11-08 India: Disease causes spike in demand for kiwifruit
- 2019-11-07 Indian monsoon season has broken records, affects pomegranate season
- 2019-11-07 “With kakis, later is better”
- 2019-11-07 Increased fig volume this season from Mexico
- 2019-11-07 Al Shahed from Egypt opens branch in Brazil
- 2019-11-07 After a good summer season, the pineapple market has completely crashed
- 2019-11-06 Chinese kiwi fruit encounters sales difficulties
- 2019-11-06 "Growing popularity of SunGold kiwi has no negative effect on consumption of green kiwi"