- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager (Africa Division)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Horticulture Production Manager
- Farm Manager (Cherries) - BC, Canada
- Lead of Irrigation - Warren, MI USA
- Grower / Head Grower Canada
- Sales agents / representatives
- Tissue Culture Manager - Warren (MI) USA
- Sales Representative North America
- Senior Commercial Manager | Murcia, Spain | Fruit
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Anyone for a stoneless avocado?
- Critical juncture for lemons & grapefruit as soft citrus flies off the shelves
- "Large avocado volumes expected this summer"
- “The temperature contrasts in the mountains help make our blueberries unique”
- Amondel Pakkers revel in their new bespoke high-speed avocado packline
Top 5 -last month
NZ: Two kiwifruit per day aids muscle development
The findings of a study by the University of Otago, Christchurch, have been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the world’s most prestigious publication in the field of nutrition science.
New Zealand scientists, led by Professor Margreet Vissers of Otago University’s Centre for Free Radical Research, have used kiwifruit as the vitamin C source in a human clinical research project. Kiwifruit is one of the most nutritious domesticated foods and is particularly high in vitamin C.
The aim of the study was to understand the critical role of vitamin C in the human body and to determine the best way to obtain this from the diet. The finding around muscle health is one aspect of this larger project.
The latest work has found that skeletal muscle is the body’s most labile, and possibly the largest, store of vitamin C, and that muscle levels most accurately reflect vitamin C intake. To reach the optimal vitamin C levels in muscle, which will result in good energy and vitality, dietary intake should also be optimal. If intake drops, then so will muscle levels, as vitamin C cannot be stored for use later.
Vissers says while most people associate a lack of vitamin C with scurvy, this condition reflects extreme deprivation and there are a host of illnesses and conditions which can befall the human body if vitamin C is continually below optimal levels.
Late in 2012, Vissers urged consumers to ensure a kiwifruit was part of their 5+a day fruit and vegetable allowance.
“Not all fruit are created equal, and, surprisingly, most fruit contain only one tenth of a healthy daily vitamin C intake per serve,” Vissers says. “However, we have shown that the addition of two kiwifruit a day will deliver optimal vitamin C and meet your daily recommended dose of this important vitamin, as well as delivering other vital nutrients.”
For this reason, fresh fruit is considered to be far more beneficial than a supplement.
Zespri technical health advisor Lynley Drummond says these results further build the growing body of evidence for the role of kiwifruit in the diet to maintain optimal health, performance and vitality.
For more information:
Tel: +61 027 509 1805
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-05-26 The benefits of temperature monitoring in fresh produce supply chains
- 2020-05-26 "Hainan enjoys first year of abundant pitaya harvest"
- 2020-05-25 Demand increases during California fig season
- 2020-05-25 Half a ton of nopales for Mexicans in Madrid
- 2020-05-25 Peruvian pomegranate exports plummeted in April
- 2020-05-25 Greenhouse waxberries from Cixi, China becoming available
- 2020-05-22 Agriculture Secretary in Philippines acknowledges garlic and onion shortage
- 2020-05-22 "Ruby pomegranates are expected to enter the Chinese market later than usual"
- 2020-05-22 Origine Group sales grow with Italian kiwis
- 2020-05-21 Garlic shortage hits, a side-effect of the coronavirus pandemic
- 2020-05-21 New Zealand: Rising rates hit Ōpōtiki orchardists hardest
- 2020-05-19 "Large volumes of Guangdong lychee will enter the market this month putting pressure on price"
- 2020-05-14 "More Chinese consumers become familiar with pepino fruit"
- 2020-05-14 High demand for passionfruit as new South African cultivar makes its export debut
- 2020-05-13 Chinese demand for Thai durian not affected by pandemic
- 2020-05-13 The expansion of COVID-19 in the US could jeopardize more than 20,000 tons of Mexican rambutan
- 2020-05-13 Less Chilean kiwi fruit shipped to the US this season
- 2020-05-12 Malaga strengthens its European leadership in the production of exotics with the introduction of longan
- 2020-05-11 Good quality but challenging market for the pineapple industry
- 2020-05-08 Chilean kiwi exports focus on Europe