- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
- Manager Operations - Gameren, Nederland
- Master Vegetable - Flower Grower
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Clearing the rubble in Spain after the severe weather; leafy vegetable shortages a sure thing in the winter"
- Severe weather in Spain has disastrous local effects
NZ: Two kiwifruit per day aids muscle development
The findings of a study by the University of Otago, Christchurch, have been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the world’s most prestigious publication in the field of nutrition science.
New Zealand scientists, led by Professor Margreet Vissers of Otago University’s Centre for Free Radical Research, have used kiwifruit as the vitamin C source in a human clinical research project. Kiwifruit is one of the most nutritious domesticated foods and is particularly high in vitamin C.
The aim of the study was to understand the critical role of vitamin C in the human body and to determine the best way to obtain this from the diet. The finding around muscle health is one aspect of this larger project.
The latest work has found that skeletal muscle is the body’s most labile, and possibly the largest, store of vitamin C, and that muscle levels most accurately reflect vitamin C intake. To reach the optimal vitamin C levels in muscle, which will result in good energy and vitality, dietary intake should also be optimal. If intake drops, then so will muscle levels, as vitamin C cannot be stored for use later.
Vissers says while most people associate a lack of vitamin C with scurvy, this condition reflects extreme deprivation and there are a host of illnesses and conditions which can befall the human body if vitamin C is continually below optimal levels.
Late in 2012, Vissers urged consumers to ensure a kiwifruit was part of their 5+a day fruit and vegetable allowance.
“Not all fruit are created equal, and, surprisingly, most fruit contain only one tenth of a healthy daily vitamin C intake per serve,” Vissers says. “However, we have shown that the addition of two kiwifruit a day will deliver optimal vitamin C and meet your daily recommended dose of this important vitamin, as well as delivering other vital nutrients.”
For this reason, fresh fruit is considered to be far more beneficial than a supplement.
Zespri technical health advisor Lynley Drummond says these results further build the growing body of evidence for the role of kiwifruit in the diet to maintain optimal health, performance and vitality.
For more information:
Tel: +61 027 509 1805
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-11 Peruvian Hass avocado for industrial use enters the Mexican market
- 2019-10-11 Seedless avocados have the same taste but are a lot safer
- 2019-10-11 The south of the Iberian Peninsula is an ideal region for avocado cultivation
- 2019-10-11 "Avocado prices will probably remain high until end of the year”
- 2019-10-11 Ukraine increases exotic fruit imports
- 2019-10-11 Berlin start-up is dedicated to cultivating Asian vegetable specialties
- 2019-10-10 “Harvest of our Wonderful pomegranates was slightly delayed”
- 2019-10-10 Excellent market prospects for Malaysian durians in China
- 2019-10-10 Companies work together to better promote Boerica kiwifruits
- 2019-10-10 "Our organic mango and avocado volumes are going to grow in the coming years"
- 2019-10-10 "Avo market situation boosts start-up business"
- 2019-10-09 How NZ kiwifruit can break into the US market
- 2019-10-09 Research on the viability of fig tree cultivation in Almeria's greenhouses
- 2019-10-09 Colombia negotiates the entry of Hass avocados into South Korea
- 2019-10-09 Pomegranate, an antioxidant, healing, and aphrodisiac fruit
- 2019-10-09 Chilean Kiwi Committee presents its new roadmap
- 2019-10-09 "We expect to export more kiwis than last season"
- 2019-10-09 Demand for prickly pears on the up
- 2019-10-08 Quinces are enjoying increasing popularity in the trade
- 2019-10-08 The Mexican region of Aguascalientes harvests its first pitahayas