Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ocean Spray Cranberries reaches agreement to purchase cranberry operations in QuebecToday, Ocean Spray Cranberries Inc. announced it has reached a definitive purchase agreement to acquire Atoka Cranberries Inc., located in Manseau, Quebec, from The Bieler Group. This acquisition will expand Ocean Spray's manufacturing footprint in Quebec, the second largest and fastest growing cranberry farming region in the world. This transaction is expected to close in the coming weeks.
"This is a strong investment for Ocean Spray and our 700 Farmer-Owners," said Ocean Spray CEO Randy Papadellis. "Ocean Spray's brand strength and global marketing reach, coupled with Atoka's unique product portfolio and location, will benefit all of our Farmers and expand the reach of the overall Quebec cranberry industry."
In addition to acquiring the Atoka brand and processing facility, Ocean Spray intends to purchase The Bieler Group's freezer and receiving facilities in the coming year. The Cooperative also intends to make additional capital investments in these facilities to further increase efficiency and improve yield. The Bieler Group will retain its world-class cranberry growing operations and become a Farmer-Owner of the Ocean Spray Cooperative.
Atoka's approximately 130 employees will become part of the Ocean Spray manufacturing network, which includes five food plants located in Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Washington, and Lanco, Chile as well as four beverage facilities in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Nevada.
"The employees of Atoka and Ocean Spray share a similar culture of quality and customer focus, as well as a unique dedication to increasing demand for cranberries," said Marc Bieler, Chairman and CEO of The Bieler Group. "Bringing together these two businesses is exciting and we look forward to joining Ocean Spray as a Farmer-Owner."
"This acquisition comes exactly 60 years after Quebec growers first joined the Ocean Spray Cooperative in 1958," added Papadellis. "Our Farmer-Owners have a long and proud history in Eastern Canada, and partnering with Bieler Cranberries, true pioneers of the Quebec cranberry industry, is a very exciting way to begin the next 60 years."
For more information:
Ocean Spray Cranberries Inc.
Publication date: 2/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: