Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money
- We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Snowfall affects citrus sales
Recently, the whole country experienced a heavy snowfall, which affected the fruit market situation significantly. Citrus fruits have always played a major role during the Spring Festival, but now the market is still in the doldrums. At the end of January, some of the farmers were alarmed by the upcoming cold weather. In order to sell their citrus as soon as possible, they've reduced the prices, which affected the market.
Hunan and Hubei plantations have been affected severely. Sichuan farmers have managed to save a lot of fruits by using a bagging method. They've covered each fruit in two bags and applied an antifreeze coating from the outside.
The situation with Navel oranges and Bingtang oranges is pretty much the same, the sales are going very slow. This year, production of Navel oranges has increased by about 50%. Despite the cold weather, citrus remain one of the most demanded fruits on the market before the Spring Festival. It is most likely that citrus sales will continue to rise during the Festival.
Although China's domestic citrus production is large, some importers still choose to import citrus from California. However, the sales of such citrus are not going well. Even considering the weather conditions this year, the amount of domestic citrus is large enough and their quality is high.
Publication date: 2/1/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: