Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- Malaysia: Japanese square watermelons sold in Kuala Lumpur
- Extreme temperatures in Europe cause worst vegetable crisis in 40 years
- Costa Rica: Pineapple producers fear the bonanza is coming to an end
- 'Readycado': Sensor alerts avo lovers when fruit is ready to eat
- European garlic competing with California on freight to East Coast
Top 5 - last week
- Significant increase of Egyptian agricultural exports to Russia
- ROP's modified atmosphere (MA) bulk liner and ROP's MA Ultra-thin film
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL TABLE GRAPE MARKET
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru will strengthen the promotion of granadilla in Brazil
Peru wants to continue conquering new markets for its products. Under that premise, the country made its first shipment of granadilla to Brazil, thus formalizing the entry of this fruit to that country, stated the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Tourism (Mincetur).
The first export of granadilla was made thanks to the efforts of the Commercial Office of Peru in Sao Paulo (OCEX Sao Paulo) and the National Service of Health and Agri-Food Quality (Senasa), which in June 2017 obtained the authorization for the entry of this product to Brazil.
The granadilla that arrived in this market, through the Peruvian exporter Agro Golden Grain, was produced by the SAF Peru company in the province of Oxapampa, in the Pasco region.
According to Mincetur, the shipment consisted of 125 kilograms of high quality fresh granadilla in two-kilo boxes. The export contract amounted to US $60,000 and the cargo was exclusively destined for the area of Sao Paulo.
Currently, the fruit is sold by Sao Paulo's Warehouses and General Stores Company (CEAGESP), which is considered the biggest fresh fruit and vegetable wholesale market in Latin America and Brazil's main distribution center.
Given the welcome that the Peruvian granadilla has been receiving, the OCEX Sao Paulo expects that there will be weekly air shipments to distribute it in different states of Brazil such as Santa Catarina, Rio de Janeiro, Porto Alegre, Florianopolis, and Manaus, among others.
According to Mincetur, Brazilian customers can pay up to 70 reais per kilo (US $21 per kilo) to enjoy this exotic delicacy from Peru.
According to the Mincetur, Brazilian consumers don't know much about the fresh granadilla as they can easily confuse it with passion fruit. However, there is a high demand for fresh granadilla, as Brazil currently imports more than 80 tons of this fruit per year, which, to date, was only being supplied by Colombia.
The Commercial Counselor for the OCEX Sao Paulo, Antonio Castillo, said that there would be a strengthening in promotion of the Peruvian granadilla, highlighting its nutritional properties and easy consumption in various events that will be held, mainly, in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, so that consumers get better acquainted with this fruit in 2018.
Publication date: 1/30/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: