Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
US consumers can buy Ecuadorian pitahaya
US consumers can already find Ecudorian pitahayas in the supermarkets. Ecuadorian companies made the first shipments of this fruit at the beginning of this month, which will make it easier for US citizens and residents to buy this fruit.
According to Pro Ecuador, a shipment of 500 kg of this fruit from the Ecuadorian company Organ Pit arrived in California, as a result of the visit they coordinated last July with buyers from Global Agricultural Trading (GAT) and exporters in Morona Santiago, the place where the fruit is cultivated.
Bayron Ortiz, a representative of OrganPit, said they had also managed to ship another 750 kg to Los Angeles, as a result of their participation with Pro Ecuador at the Asia Fruit Logistics fair this year, where they had contacted the buyer.
Meanwhile, Sebastian Bustamante, representative of EcuaExotics stated that the entrance of their products in the North American market had been quite favorable. At the moment they have a strategic partner that they met at last year's PMA fair, which was held in Miami, to whom they have shipped samples so that the exotic fruit is distributed in different areas of the United States. As a result, a few days ago they managed to directly export to Los Angeles a pallet of approximately 400 kg of pitahaya.
The Ecuadorian pitahaya is known for its large size, sweet taste, and health benefits. The fruit produced in the Amazon can weigh up to 380 grams. The district of Palora is the area with the highest production of pitahaya in the country and produces a variety that stands out for its round and intense yellow color.
On September 21, the United States authorized the entry of pitahaya from the production sites and collection centers registered according to the Work Plan signed between the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (Aphis) and Agrocalidad.
Publication date: 10/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: