Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Greenyard gives first estimate of financial impact of recent recall
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Tsunami hits Mallorca and Menorca
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
14 South African fresh produce market agents charged with price fixing
The Commission has referred to the Tribunal for prosecution of fourteen fresh produce market agents and their association, the Institute for Market Agents of South Africa, in relation to charges of price fixing and/or fixing trading conditions in contravention of the Competition Act.
This follows search and seizure operations conducted by the Commission at the premises of the agents in Pretoria, Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban in March this year.
The agents, who serve as fresh produce market intermediaries between farmers and buyers of freshly produced fruits and vegetables in South Africa, have agreed and/or engaged in a concerted practice to charge farmers the same commission fee when selling their fresh produce to customers.
The investigation has found the fixed commission fee has been charged to farmers as follows:
- 5% to 6% for potatoes and onions;
- 7.5% for all other fruits and vegetables; and
- Up to 9.5% for all fruits and vegetables delivered to them by farmers without pallets.
The fresh produce market agents are all members of the Institute for Market Agents of South Africa and the practice of charging a fixed commission fee is enforced by the Institute. In addition, the practice has been in place for over 50 years and is ongoing.
The fresh produce market agents who face prosecution are: Botha Roodt (Johannesburg); Botha Roodt (Pretoria); Suptropico (Pty) Ltd; Interaction Market Services; Holding (Pty) Ltd; Dapper Market Agents (Pty) Ltd; Dw Fresh Produce CC; Farmers Trust CC; Noordvaal Market Agents (Pty) Ltd; Marco Fresh Produce Agency; Wenpro Market Agents CC; Wenpro Market Agents (KZN); Prinsloo & Venter Market Agents; Fine Bros (Pty) Ltd; and
Delta Market Agents (Pty) Ltd.
For more information:
The Competition Commission of South Africa
Tel: +27 012 394 3493
Publication date: 10/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: