Job offersmore »
- Farm Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Plant Specialist City Farming - Netherlands
- General Manager, HandPicked Vegetables - US
- Agricultural Research Manager - Italy
- Grower / Consultant Asia
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- General Manager - China
- Agronomist - Armenia
- Grower Manager UK – Climate & Nutrition
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- AU table-grape, apple and cherry exports drop by up to 34%
- Banana exports from the Dominican Republic dropped by 75% last year
- Produce heavyweight Hein Deprez buys Hollands largest organic pepper grower
- Around Noon expands in the UK with Chef in a Box acquisition
- New labs and opportunities for NatureSeal in Europe
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Soft fruit season gets underway at AngusSoft FruitAngus Soft Fruits Ltd. is one of the leading growers of soft fruit in the UK. Supplying strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries to the major retailers in the UK, with a domestic production of 8000-9000 tons just for strawberries.
The main production takes place in Scotland, with some growers in England and Spain the supply is complimented with imports from Holland, Egypt and the Middle East. Blueberries and blackberries are also imported from Central and South America.
John Gray, Commercial Director explained that, "This year the season is generally late after a very warm March followed by an unseasonably cold April we are about a week behind, last week was the first big week of the season, still not too bad for this far north".
Lochy Porter, Managing Director
John goes on to say that the business continues to grow, 5% up year on year. "Last year was a difficult year, firstly for imports then we had extreme winds in May which cost us on average 15% of production, the most exposed crops were totally lost."
On the UK market berries continue to do well, showing more growth that other fruit and fresh produce in general, blueberries have the biggest growth. They have overtaken the raspberry into second place behind strawberries for much of the year.
Angus Soft Fruits is a member of British Summer Fruit, who are continuing to push the healthy aspects of berries to the consumer. In addition the company has its own brand Good Natured, a range of fruit vegetables and herbs which pesticide and residue free. These products are available in Morrisons, Tesco and Asda.
This brand has brought Angus Soft Fruits closer to the consumer through the website, Face Book and Twitter.
For more information:
Angus Soft Fruits Ltd.
Tel: +44 1241 879989
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: