Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Soft fruit season gets underway at AngusSoft FruitAngus Soft Fruits Ltd. is one of the leading growers of soft fruit in the UK. Supplying strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries to the major retailers in the UK, with a domestic production of 8000-9000 tons just for strawberries.
The main production takes place in Scotland, with some growers in England and Spain the supply is complimented with imports from Holland, Egypt and the Middle East. Blueberries and blackberries are also imported from Central and South America.
John Gray, Commercial Director explained that, "This year the season is generally late after a very warm March followed by an unseasonably cold April we are about a week behind, last week was the first big week of the season, still not too bad for this far north".
Lochy Porter, Managing Director
John goes on to say that the business continues to grow, 5% up year on year. "Last year was a difficult year, firstly for imports then we had extreme winds in May which cost us on average 15% of production, the most exposed crops were totally lost."
On the UK market berries continue to do well, showing more growth that other fruit and fresh produce in general, blueberries have the biggest growth. They have overtaken the raspberry into second place behind strawberries for much of the year.
Angus Soft Fruits is a member of British Summer Fruit, who are continuing to push the healthy aspects of berries to the consumer. In addition the company has its own brand Good Natured, a range of fruit vegetables and herbs which pesticide and residue free. These products are available in Morrisons, Tesco and Asda.
This brand has brought Angus Soft Fruits closer to the consumer through the website, Face Book and Twitter.
For more information:
Angus Soft Fruits Ltd.
Tel: +44 1241 879989
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: