Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Mindano banana growers working on accredited listThe Mindano Banana Farmers and Exporters Association has said that they are still in the process of assessing farm facilities on the island of Mindano, in order that growers there can be listed as an accredited grower and exporter of bananas.
MBFEA chair Remigio C. Garcia said they are required to submit an accredited list which will be forwarded to China this June.
"But only 10 percent has been completed from the total number of farm areas that were inspected," he said.
The whole process came about as a result of the recent issue with getting Filipino bananas into China.
Garcia said they asked the Department of Agriculture (DA) to indicate in the list that it is still an initial listing, in order that those still not yet inspected, but who are qualified to do business be given assurance and the chance to continue their export of banana and become part of those accredited farms.
Garcia admitted that there were those who were operating with standards below the requirements.
"These are the people that we want to be eliminated from our list," he said.
He also suggested the possibility, much talked about of late, of seeking new markets for the fruit - in particular in the Middle East region as it is closer than Europe and freight rates there are not so high.
Publication date: 6/6/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: