Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- GENERAL / FARM MANAGER - Australia
- Grower / Ag scientist - Australia
- Technical/ Product Representative, Russia
- Technical/ Product Representative, India
- Retail Chain Manager - Russia
- Business Advisor - China
- Production Manager - Australia
- Production Manager - Australia
- Packing Facility Manager - AU
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Sala Europa, 27th September 2012
“Tomato Excellent” will take place at MACFRUT 2012The second edition of “Tomato excellent”, organized by the Agrorà group together with Cesena Fiera, will take place at MACFRUT 2012, which is the biggest Italian event for fruit and vegetables.
Agrorà group is ready to face the big organizational effort.
The event manager, Rosario Sallemi, director of Agrorà says, “We are going to feel at ease at MACFRUT Cesena because we are aware of our means to organize the event that will confirm the economic initiative of the producers from the 'converted area' (Sicily) despite the recession.”
“For our group this is the test of our maturity and we want to confirm our reliability to the managers who have trusted us.”
His Majesty the Tomato
An area of land which includes 4 provinces (Agrigento, Caltanissetta, Ragusa, Siracusa) is dedicated to the production of tomatoes. An area that expands from Licata to Pachino is the so-called “converted area” which is the flagship of Sicilian agriculture. In the South-west of the Sicilian coast there are greenhouses whose range is 8,682 hectares and produce 27.4% of the products.
In the last ten years greenhouses in Siracusa have been changing in different aspects: technique of cultivation, diversification of supplies, protraction of the harvest calendar.
In the greenhouses the main crops are tomatoes (42.5% - 4,000 hectares), peppers (15.7% - 1,300 hectares), aubergines (13.8% - 1,100 hectares), courgettes (11.5%).
The production of tomatoes in the 'converted area' reaches its best in the areas of Pachino and Bulala, where the weather conditions enhance their quality and quantity so much that they deserve the award “Tomato Excellent”.
1. Tomatoes produced in the 'converted area' (Acate, Comiso, Gela, Ispica, Licata, Niscemi, Pachino, Pozzallo, Santa Croce Camerina, Scicli, Vittoria, Portopalo, Ragusa).
2. Presence of seed companies that have been working in the area for the last two years.
3. Evaluation standards:
- organoleptic features
- genetic resistances
- adaptability to the land
- long shelf life
4. Division of the product in different kinds:
· Beefsteak tomato
· Vine tomato
· Insalataro Tondo Liscio
· Mini Plum
· Insalataro Costoluto
· San Marzano
5. Standard of variety choice: max 3 for each kind.
6. In the final evaluation all the parts of the production process (farmers, traders, GDO, consumers) will be taken into account.
7. A Technical Commission will do a first analysis according to the standards given by the regulations.
8. A Panel Test Commission will analyze the organoleptic features of the different varieties.
9. A national Selection Board will award the best varieties which distinguish themselves for quality, genuineness and competition both in Italian and foreign markets.
For more information:
Phone: +39 (0)932 866463
Publication date: 5/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: