Job offersmore »
- Sales manager Central Europe
- Managing Director Central Europe
- General Manager - China
- Fritz Wiendl (experience in fresh produce industry) is looking for a job
- Business Manager NEF - Netherlands
- Supervisor Nucleus Stock - The Netherlands
- Project Manager R&D - The Netherlands
- Global Production Improvement Technician - Israel, Peru or Netherlands
- Bilingual Sales Exec (Avocado/ Tomato) - USA
- Sales Manager North America
Top 5 - yesterday
- Dull spring takes toll on EU production, positive start for SH citrus
- 'Halos' vs. 'Cuties', may the best marketing win
- US (CA): Citrus growers combat cold temps
- "Jazz succeeds in countries in which Granny Smith and Braeburn were popular"
- "South African and Namibian grape production very disappointing"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (CA): Early apricots command good prices
While most of California's apricot harvest will take place later this month, early apricots on the market are enjoying strong prices.
Jim Hanson, of Grower Direct Marketing, said they're in their second week of harvesting, and they expect good production numbers.
“We're almost halfway through our harvest,” he said, “and we're going to have more volume than last year.” Though he admits that last year's production was limited by hail, something which they avoided this year.
“It's been a very good, strong start,” he said, “with production higher that the previous two years.” He added that their southern growing areas, located in Arvin, were able to avoid the hail which affected some of the state's stone fruit orchards.
Grower Direct's apricot program is brief, said Hanson, with the majority of picking taking place in May. The advantage of that schedule is that, though it's brief, it allows them to sell fruit before most of the state's supplies come online.
“Prices are pretty good right now,” he said, “with larger fruit in the low-30's range.” Fruit quality was reported as good with high color.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: