Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Pasquariello Giovanni focuses on green asparagus seasonThe Apulian producer Giovanni Pasquariello owner of Pasquariello Giovanni, told FreshPlaza about the 2012 campaign of the green asparagus cultivated in the area of Foggia.
Giovanni Pasquariello and his family.
Giovanni says: “We are in the middle of the campaign with an excellent product. However, we have difficulties with sales in the national market since prices are very low, lower than 2011. We can only hope that with the reduction of exports of Spanish green asparagus there will be less supply and a correct increase of prices.”
The effects of the economic, financial crisis are real. Giovanni observes: “Years ago the most demanded quality of asparagus was “fiorone” even though it was very expensive. Now the domestic market just demands the “asparagine” a quality which is much cheaper.”
As far as weather conditions are concerned, during the season of cultivation of Apulian asparagus, the businessman reports that the temperatures at the beginning of the campaign were disadvantageous because of the frost in February 2012. This led to a delay in the harvest, which started on March 25th. “Then temperatures increased and the alternation of warm and cold, with a few spells of rain favoured the development of an excellent product. The Apulian green asparagus is affected by the Spanish competition but its features make it unique since it is completely green and so delicious.”
The company stand at Fruit Logistics 2012.
The company Pasquariello Giovanni produces about 350 tons of asparagus. “This year, thanks to the stand at Fruit Logistica and the GlobalGAP certification, we increased our sales abroad which now represent 30% of our turnover. The remaining part is sold to the main wholesalers in North Italy, and at the moment, to the deep-freeze industry.”
Contrada Trionfo - Pod. 472
71041 Carapelle (FG)
Mobile: +39 328 9126249
Publication date: 5/10/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: