Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Organic tomatoes show promise against heart sickness and tumours
Scientist of the 'Instituto di Biologia e Biotechnologia Agraria' (CNR) and the Uniiversità di Pisa' in Italy have shown the pharmacological properties of organically grown tomatoes. Tomatoes were known as a 'functional food' in the prevention of heart problems and tumours, but this newly obtained knowledge strengthened this known fact even more.
"Tomatoes are a natural source of molecules such as ascorbic acid (vit.C), vit.E, flavoides and phenol and carotene containing substances, such as lycopene" project leader Manuela Giovanetti says. "With this they cannot only develop anti-oxidant properties, but also properties which influence the hormone and immunity system. Their food physiological and pharmacological value, however, is for a large part dependent upon their natural symbiosis partners. These are benign on root points growing micro fungi of the class of glomeromycetes. which absorb foodstuff from the soil and assist in transporting this to the plant cells.
"From the research it can be concluded that organically grown tomatoes prevent harmful matter to reach the food chain" said one of the researchers.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: