Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- Florida fruit growers sour over NAFTA as production continues falling
- "Quality for us starts more than 12 months before the crop is even harvested"
- “Give us 1.20 dollar more per box”
- First Colombian Hass avocado shipment makes its way to Port Long Beach, US
- Fruit becoming scarcer in growing world market
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: GM melon halts allergy it producesMelon is the second most likely food to cause allergic reactions in Spanish consumers, according to a study by the European Academy for Allergy. And it was in Spain that the medicine for that was found. Investigators from the Polytechnic of Madrid, in collaboration with other centers, developed a genetically modified melon.
Scientists developed a profilin (the protein responsible for the allergy to melon) modified melon that is able to stimulate the immune system to evolve to a non-allergic reaction.
This tool could also eliminate the secondary effects of immunotherapy that is, until now, the only treatment against allergies. Moreover, this variety could also be used in the treatment of allergies to several pollens.
Publication date: 5/1/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: