Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: GM melon halts allergy it producesMelon is the second most likely food to cause allergic reactions in Spanish consumers, according to a study by the European Academy for Allergy. And it was in Spain that the medicine for that was found. Investigators from the Polytechnic of Madrid, in collaboration with other centers, developed a genetically modified melon.
Scientists developed a profilin (the protein responsible for the allergy to melon) modified melon that is able to stimulate the immune system to evolve to a non-allergic reaction.
This tool could also eliminate the secondary effects of immunotherapy that is, until now, the only treatment against allergies. Moreover, this variety could also be used in the treatment of allergies to several pollens.
Publication date: 5/1/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: