Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Philippines: Calls for Cavendish tariff reductionImport duties for the most preferred banana variety, Cavendish, remain high and could be a threat to the position of Philippine bananas in the Japanese market. For this reason, the Filipino Banana Growers and Exporters Association (PBGEA) strongly recommended the inclusion of Cavendish in the list of Certified Fresh Varieties with Tariff Item Number 0803.00 Under Category B10.
Dried bananas are classified under Category A, or tariff immediately eliminated upon EPA enforcement. Cavendish, the Bureau of International Trade relations (BITR) pointed out, falls under "Other" which means a higher tariff.
Despite Japanese protectionism in the agricultural sectors, banana continue to be the Philippines's top export to the country, with Cavendish being the most popular variety. As the fruit is not grown in Japan there is no competition with local growers.
In support to JBIA, the Regional Development Council (RDC) XI in Davao passed a resolution highly recommending to the Tariff Commission and the Department of Trade to strengthen the Philippine Banana Industry by reducing and eventually eliminating the tariff on Cavendish and Cardava varieties under PJEPA.
Likewise, RDC-IX on its recent 139th meeting in Dipolog City supported and adopted the endorsed Agri-Industrial Development Committee (ADC) resolution supporting RDC XI’s (Davao Region) resolution on tariff reduction for Cavendish and Cardava banana varieties.
Publication date: 4/10/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: