Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit ScandinaviŽ en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bioland critisizes increasing import of potatoes
Germany: "Organic potatoes kept in stock unacceptable"
The German organic-association Bioland is critical about the increase of imported organic potatoes from Israel and Egypt. According to the association there are large volumes high value goods in warehouses in Germany. "This course of action is against the wishes of consumers for more local product. With a view to the social discussion about wasting of food it is unacceptable that German organic potatoes are now remaining in storehouses and rot as a result" Bioland chairman Jan Plagge says.
The organic growers work all year to produce high quality potatoes. Therefore Bioland also agree in favour of a longer selling period. "The efforts of our growers to offer the best quality during the whole year must be rewarded," as per Christian Landzettel, Bioland consultant.
Plagge also stresses that the organic potato cultivation has negative consequences for Egypt and Israel. "Especially in dry areas the costs of irrigation are very high. It is simply impossible to cultivate in a sustainable way."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: