Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Plant Specialist City Farming - Netherlands
- General Manager, HandPicked Vegetables - US
- Agricultural Research Manager - Italy
- Grower / Consultant Asia
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- General Manager - China
- Agronomist - Armenia
- Grower Manager UK – Climate & Nutrition
- Business Development Manager Horticulture LED CEE / Russia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Anti-GM activists create blue strawberry hoaxThere's a new GM product just been created and it really does represent a break from the conventional. it's a blue strawberry that has been designed to withstand freezing temperatures. Scientists discovered that the Arctic Flounder Fish produces its own antifreeze so that it can protect itself from freezing water.
After a bit of research it seems to be a hoax. It turns out that there is a story gaining traction in anti-GMO circles about this hideous new beast that adds a fish gene to strawberries. Allegedly it makes the strawberry blue and resistant to cold.
For the record, there are absolutely no transgenic (GMO) strawberries in production, as far as we know.
Publication date: 3/19/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: