Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
APROBA asked to declare damage
Frost affected Moroccan banana producers badlyAccording to the Association of Banana Producers of Morocco (APROBA), frost has severely affected the banana cultivation in the regions Gharb and Doukkala causing damage that was estimated at more than 85% for mature plantations in production and direct financial losses of around 210,000 Durham per hectare. Young plantations were also hit by more than 60%, which will compromise the performance of the next campaign.
APROBA asked the Department of Agriculture to declare the damaged bananas in the regions of Gharb and Doukkala affected by frost. During their meeting in Kenitra, the ADPROBA also requested the State to take action in giving consistent support and assistance to producers affected.
According to figures provided by the association, 2,200 ha are planted with bananas in the Gharb region and 750 ha Chtouka in Doukkala-Abda.
Banana producers feel very aggrieved because of the prices charged by middlemen who buy a kilo of bananas at between 4 and 4.5 dh and sell it on the market at twice and sometimes triple the price.
APROBA asked industry bodies of other fruits, like avocados, to join them as they suffered damage due to frost as well.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: