Job offersmore »
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
- Category Manager – Avocado & Mango Australia
- International Buyer exotics (Spanish speaking) - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Indonesia to notify WTO over import movesIndonesia seems to be seeking to secure approval for its port closure move as the government will notify the World Trade Organisation, to clarify that it sees its strategy as essential to ensuring consumer health and safety.
Trade Minister Gita Wirjawan said on Wednesday that Indonesia had the right to implement whatever mechanism it wished to ensure health and safety as condoned by international norms, but a notification to the trade governing body was necessary.
“We will notify the WTO soon. An import arrangement such as has been demonstrated by advanced as well as developing countries takes health and safety into account,” Gita said on Wednesday.
Gita also said that his ministry would co-ordinate with the quarantine agency and the Agriculture Ministry for the notification.
“It will be normal for us, as a matter of courtesy, to explain this to the WTO at some point,” he said.
This information comes hot on the heels of the news that the port closure action would be delayed temporarily, as reported by FreshPlaza earlier this week.
The Agriculture Ministry’s Quarantine Agency chief, Banun Harpini, said the government was not required to notify the WTO .
“Such an arrangement is not regulated by the WTO and any country has its own authority to determine the appropriate level of protection.”
Publication date: 3/8/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: