Job offersmore »
- Crop Advisor - Northern Europe
- Business Development Manager - Northern Europe
- Top Level Candidates Available Now For the International Fresh Produce Sectors
- General Manager Trade & Export - Australia
- Divisional Sales Manager - United States
- Export Manager - Spain
- Hydroponic Greenhouse Grower - Leamington, Ontario
- Operations Manager Canada
- Crop Technical Advisor Worldwide
- Product Manager Retail Concepts - Europe or North America
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Table grape area drops 30% in ten years
In Monforte del Cid, Novelda and Aspe in Spain 70% of the agriculture consists of table grapes. In the "Valley of the Grapes" this culture generates EUR40.8 million a year. However, in the last ten years the area for this "flagship" product has been reduced by approximately 30%. The decrease, according to experts, is due to urban impact, the lack of generational replacement in the field because of low wages given to workers, the high price of water, bad campaigns caused by the damaging hail and periods of low prices where of course, large amounts of hectares of crops often decrease.
Nevertheless, in the agricultural sector of Vinalopo Mitja table grapes have a strong position, they are the emblematic crop of Valencia and one of the most profitable in the province of Alicante, as reflected by recent economic data handled by the union of Asaja.
A tractor driver, on a table grape farm of Monforte del Cid, during the collection of the precious fruit.
Publication date: 3/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: