Job offersmore »
- Junior Accountant – Hartford County, CT
- National Sales Manager - United States
- Top Level Candidates Available Now For the International Fresh Produce Sectors
- Vegetable Grower - Western Australia
- Fresh Produce Supply Chain Coordinator - Australia
- Chain Management US & Canada
- Business Development Manager Retail Europe
- Technical Account manage - UK
- Post-Harvest Technologist - Australia
- Soft Fruit Procurement Manager – UK (London or Kent)
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Table grape area drops 30% in ten years
In Monforte del Cid, Novelda and Aspe in Spain 70% of the agriculture consists of table grapes. In the "Valley of the Grapes" this culture generates EUR40.8 million a year. However, in the last ten years the area for this "flagship" product has been reduced by approximately 30%. The decrease, according to experts, is due to urban impact, the lack of generational replacement in the field because of low wages given to workers, the high price of water, bad campaigns caused by the damaging hail and periods of low prices where of course, large amounts of hectares of crops often decrease.
Nevertheless, in the agricultural sector of Vinalopo Mitja table grapes have a strong position, they are the emblematic crop of Valencia and one of the most profitable in the province of Alicante, as reflected by recent economic data handled by the union of Asaja.
A tractor driver, on a table grape farm of Monforte del Cid, during the collection of the precious fruit.
Publication date: 3/14/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: