Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
US (DE): Port of Wilmington sets new tonnage recordThe Diamond State Port Corporation (DSPC) announced that in 2011 the Port of Wilmington, Delaware handled 5,084,478 tons of cargo, a 26% rise year over year, and achieved the highest general cargo tonnage throughput since the 1995 acquisition of the Port by the State of Delaware.
The DSPC is a state entity which owns and operates the Port of Wilmington. Increased import and export tonnage was experienced in all major cargo
categories during the past year.
Based on the Port's 2011 performance Wilmington retains its leadership position in the following trade categories:
- North America's number one port for imported perishable cargo
- The largest banana port in the USA and the second largest in the world
- The nation's leading port for juice concentrates, and
- The largest loading port for cattle exports on the US East Coast
"It is the teamwork of the men and women at the Port of Wilmington, Delaware, and the support of our customers and business partners that enabled us to reach this important milestone in the Port's history," remarked Gene Bailey, executive director of the DSPC.
"This very strong cargo growth means additional jobs for Delawareans, and underscores the value of the Port as an economic engine for the State of Delaware and the tri.state region."
The largest growth in tonnage was recorded in the dry bulk segment which increased by 106% to 1.451 million tons. Breakbulk, RoRo and livestock cargoes totaled 487,770 tons, a 25.68% increase.
At 1,750,451 tons containerized shipments of perishables, forest products and vehicles exceeded last year’s results by 5.50%. Overall container count, in twenty foot equivalent units (TEUs), increased by 2.85% and totaled 189,940 TEUs. Bulk Liquid products also produced a strong performance at 1.395 million tons surpassing 2010’s volume by 9.57%.
For more information:
Diamond State Port Corp.
Tel: +1 (302) 472.7819
Mob: +1 (302) 540.6374 (cell)
Publication date: 3/7/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: