Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- Deluge causes millions of dollars in crop damage in Queensland
- Washington now ranks No.1 in America for blueberry production
- Dollar shortage, not promotion of local industry, behind Zimbabwe ban decision
- Indian grape sector in Nashik hit by rainfall
- World record breaking carrot weighs in at 23 pounds
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
US (DE): Port of Wilmington sets new tonnage recordThe Diamond State Port Corporation (DSPC) announced that in 2011 the Port of Wilmington, Delaware handled 5,084,478 tons of cargo, a 26% rise year over year, and achieved the highest general cargo tonnage throughput since the 1995 acquisition of the Port by the State of Delaware.
The DSPC is a state entity which owns and operates the Port of Wilmington. Increased import and export tonnage was experienced in all major cargo
categories during the past year.
Based on the Port's 2011 performance Wilmington retains its leadership position in the following trade categories:
- North America's number one port for imported perishable cargo
- The largest banana port in the USA and the second largest in the world
- The nation's leading port for juice concentrates, and
- The largest loading port for cattle exports on the US East Coast
"It is the teamwork of the men and women at the Port of Wilmington, Delaware, and the support of our customers and business partners that enabled us to reach this important milestone in the Port's history," remarked Gene Bailey, executive director of the DSPC.
"This very strong cargo growth means additional jobs for Delawareans, and underscores the value of the Port as an economic engine for the State of Delaware and the tri.state region."
The largest growth in tonnage was recorded in the dry bulk segment which increased by 106% to 1.451 million tons. Breakbulk, RoRo and livestock cargoes totaled 487,770 tons, a 25.68% increase.
At 1,750,451 tons containerized shipments of perishables, forest products and vehicles exceeded last year’s results by 5.50%. Overall container count, in twenty foot equivalent units (TEUs), increased by 2.85% and totaled 189,940 TEUs. Bulk Liquid products also produced a strong performance at 1.395 million tons surpassing 2010’s volume by 9.57%.
For more information:
Diamond State Port Corp.
Tel: +1 (302) 472.7819
Mob: +1 (302) 540.6374 (cell)
Publication date: 3/7/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: