Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatamala: 7th banana union member to be murderedSince 2011 seven members, or former members, of the Guatamalan banana workers' union have been murdered. Earlier this month Miguel Angel González Ramírez became the latest victim. A member of the Izabal banana workers’ union, he was shot while he was holding his young son.
No one has been arrested for the murders at this stage.
On the day of Ramirez’s murder, the Guatemalan government had lifted its 24-hour security protection for the union’s secretary general.
In 2008 six Guatemalan unions filed a complaint with the Labor Department over what they said was the failure of the government to enforce its own labor laws and to prevent violence against trade unionists.
In 2009, the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) named Guatemala the second most dangerous country for trade unionists, behind Colombia.
Publication date: 2/24/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: