Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatamala: 7th banana union member to be murderedSince 2011 seven members, or former members, of the Guatamalan banana workers' union have been murdered. Earlier this month Miguel Angel González Ramírez became the latest victim. A member of the Izabal banana workers’ union, he was shot while he was holding his young son.
No one has been arrested for the murders at this stage.
On the day of Ramirez’s murder, the Guatemalan government had lifted its 24-hour security protection for the union’s secretary general.
In 2008 six Guatemalan unions filed a complaint with the Labor Department over what they said was the failure of the government to enforce its own labor laws and to prevent violence against trade unionists.
In 2009, the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) named Guatemala the second most dangerous country for trade unionists, behind Colombia.
Publication date: 2/24/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: