Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- Grape grower-shipper opens new warehouse in Nogales, AZ
- One of New Zealand’s newest apple varieties starts Dazzling the world
- Spain: Report accuses major veg producer of severe environmental damage
- AU: New technology delivering biodegradable produce labels
- Canada: Big data means big returns for farmers British Columbia
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatamala: 7th banana union member to be murderedSince 2011 seven members, or former members, of the Guatamalan banana workers' union have been murdered. Earlier this month Miguel Angel González Ramírez became the latest victim. A member of the Izabal banana workers’ union, he was shot while he was holding his young son.
No one has been arrested for the murders at this stage.
On the day of Ramirez’s murder, the Guatemalan government had lifted its 24-hour security protection for the union’s secretary general.
In 2008 six Guatemalan unions filed a complaint with the Labor Department over what they said was the failure of the government to enforce its own labor laws and to prevent violence against trade unionists.
In 2009, the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) named Guatemala the second most dangerous country for trade unionists, behind Colombia.
Publication date: 2/24/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: