Job offersmore »
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Nielsen analysis over 2011
Italy: No crisis for juicesItalians love fruit juices. According to Nielsen data, in 2011 over 538.7 million litres of juice were sold, with a net increase of 1% compared to 2010, and a turnover of just over EUR 705 million, essentially unchanged from the previous year (+0.3%).
"We are very satisfied about the results obtained in 2011. We ended the year with a revenue growth of 13.5% in juice business. The economical scenario this year was not definitely the best, at the macro level there was a strong tension on the cost of raw materials in all food categories. If we consider this we were able to grow a lot" Oswald Zuegg, president and CEO of Zuegg says.
The last season was generally more favourable, despite variable temperatures in the first part and, on the contrary, high and prolonged temperatures in the months of usual decline of the volumes, i.e. September and October. In this scenario, traditional fruit juices move alone a volume of 471.6 million litres (+0.9% compared to 2010) for a turnover of almost EUR 613 million (+1%). Fruity drinks follow with more than 54 million litres sold, a 4% increase and a turnover of EUR 49.7 million, while fresh juices record a significant decrease in volume (-6%, 13.1 million litres) and in value (-7.3%, EUR 42.3 million).
Smoothies represent a very niche segment, which a total of just under EUR 19 million divided equally between fresh and UHT (Ultra-high-temperature processing); while the first segment records an important decrease of 19.5% in volume and 22.8% in value, the second marks a significant increase in the number of litres sold (+20.8%).
"In the near future consumers will be directed increasingly towards 'functional and healthy' products with inevitable migration of consumption to less caloric versions, and more functional packaging to meet the requirements due to an increasingly hectic lifestyle. All of course without forgetting the correct quality-price ratio. The keyword for the future will be even more innovation, that means meeting the real needs of consumers with innovative products to be proposed to market and segment, focusing on supply mix" Vincenzo Tundo, Marketing Director of San Benedetto Group, says.
"As for the distribution channels, 2011 has seen a good performance of the big retail, with a better result in supermarket format and discount channel and a more marked distress of traditional retail" Marco Di Sante, marketing manager of Santal, Parmalat's brand, says. The Nielsen data essentially confirm this analysis: supermarkets, in fact, recorded a turnover of over EUR 391 million with a share of 63.9% of sales.
In 2011 many brands have launched new products and newest are expected in 2012. "Last year we renewed the whole 'Hero diet' line, product with no sugars added" Robert Lehner, CEO of Hero Italia says.
San Benedetto will launch on the shelves and in vending machines several news for 'Batik Succoso': a new recipe in line with the healthy trend and wellness. As for the brand 'Oasis', the most important innovation in 2012 is the adoption in late January of 0.5 litre 'shape nature' bottle.
"During 2012 we plan an extension of the existing assortment with value-added products for the consumer" Oswald Zuegg concludes. "Moreover, given the experience of Zuegg in fruit sector, in the coming months it will introduce an important project taht during tests has been a great success."
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: