Job offersmore »
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Syrian troubles slow down Jordanian produce exportsLand cargo movement between Jordan and Syria has dropped by 20% since the start of troubles in Syria last year, a senior official said.
"We are facing some difficulties with hesitant truck drivers who refuse to drive into Syria in such unsafe situations," said Jordan Truck Owners Association President, Mohammed Dawood.
Currently the problem is being addressed with the hiring of Syrian trucks to carry fruit and vegetables to the Syrian border.
Ordinarily there are more exports, but recently, vegetables were the main item demanded by the Syrian market, according to Dawood.
Syria is not only a market for Jordanian products, it is also a transit route for Jordanian trucks carrying exports to Turkey and Europe. An average of 35 to 40 transit trucks cross to the Syrian border to Turkey, of which one-third are Jordanian. As a result of the ongoing turmoil in Syria, the Kingdom asked Iraqi authorities in December last year to allow Jordanian trucks carrying goods to Turkey and Europe to travel through Iraq as an alternative transit path for Syria. No response from authorities in Baghdad has yet been received although they said at that time they would need a month to complete measures related to legislation, customs and security.
Publication date: 2/7/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: