Job offersmore »
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
- Account Manager Zachtfruit Scandinavië en Duitsland - Netherlands
- International Editor
- Experienced tomato grower - Angola
- Sales Area Managers - Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Portugal
- Chief Operations Officer - Deerfield (MA) USA
- LED strategic account manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Jamaica Producers Group restart banana exportsJamaica Producers Group has resumed the export of bananas in December, but is only planning to supply other Caribbean countries that do not grow the fruit themselves.
The export trade ceased four years ago, though production continued for domestic sales and for use in creating fruit chips/crisps.
The marketing director of JPG, Jeffrey Hall, said that the export plan was commencing with shipments to the Cayman Isles.
"We decided to explore the opportunities for export to the Caribbean because we believe that we have a good product," said Hall about the export of ripe and green bananas to that market. "We started in December and it's only to Cayman for now."
The first year of export is estimated to be of about 20,000 boxes.
No new jobs will be created as a result of the new plans. 400 jobs were lost in 2008 when exports were stopped as a result of a series of storms starting 4 years earlier in 2004.
"We will be utilizing existing capacity," said Hall about his company, which is the island's largest banana producer.
Publication date: 2/3/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: