Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Jamaica Producers Group restart banana exportsJamaica Producers Group has resumed the export of bananas in December, but is only planning to supply other Caribbean countries that do not grow the fruit themselves.
The export trade ceased four years ago, though production continued for domestic sales and for use in creating fruit chips/crisps.
The marketing director of JPG, Jeffrey Hall, said that the export plan was commencing with shipments to the Cayman Isles.
"We decided to explore the opportunities for export to the Caribbean because we believe that we have a good product," said Hall about the export of ripe and green bananas to that market. "We started in December and it's only to Cayman for now."
The first year of export is estimated to be of about 20,000 boxes.
No new jobs will be created as a result of the new plans. 400 jobs were lost in 2008 when exports were stopped as a result of a series of storms starting 4 years earlier in 2004.
"We will be utilizing existing capacity," said Hall about his company, which is the island's largest banana producer.
Publication date: 2/3/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: