Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Frost hits European fruit and vegetable sector hard
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US (GA): Increased demand, value and costs for nut growersRising demand for peanuts and pecans is good news for Georgian growers, especially as prices are rising also.
However, there are some downsides. The cost of production has also risen, with increases in prices of fuel and fertilizer.
Kent Wolf, an agricultural economist with the University of Georgia, credits overseas demand for pecans for part of the increased grower returns.
In 2005, for example, China bought 5 million pounds of pecans. By 2010, this had risen, not inconsiderably, to 100 million pounds.
Publication date: 2/2/2012
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: