Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Story of a Saint Lucian farmer’s faith in the banana industryThe Saint Lucia banana industry was once the driving force of the economy. So much so that Saint Lucia’s national dish is ‘Green banana and saltfish’. Because of its abundance and availability, green bananas have long been cheap and easily accessible. The green banana is packed with nutrients and was always a ‘go-to food’ for the underprivileged.
Today, green banana farmers are struggling to maintain their farm investments in order to continue to supply the nation or export while earning a living. To date, the banana industry continue to face climate change challenges and the sector will further decline if innovative interventions are not actioned. Farmers across the board are asking for assistance in order to revive the volatile industry.
‘Green Gold’ tells the story of a 70-year-old farmer who believes that the banana industry can flourish with the necessary interventions.
Publication date: 6/5/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: