Job offersmore »
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Ive Lambert, Starfruit Company Branch Manager
"Poor Galia and Cantaloupe melon season partly due to problems in Honduras"
"The past melon season has been terrible", says Ive Lambert of the Belgian importer, Starfruit Company. "This is due to their poor quality this year. In Honduras, there was a significant melon exporter who experienced many internal problems. The quality of the product suffered. This was due to these internal problems and numerous post-harvest problems. It is a pity as we had a good season last year."
Price settings during the season have not been good. This is partly due to the melons' poor quality. Prices are low in general. According to the Branch Manager, "We did have good weeks. But, when you get problem containers again, this has an effect on the good fruit. It pulls the market down."
"The European melon season is starting in a month's time", continues Ive. "We will be getting Galias and Cantaloupes from Honduras for three more weeks. Then we will go over to Spanish and French melons. It is hard to say how the coming season will go. We have noticed an increasing demand for Galia melons. This is because the weather is improving."
Melon consumption depends heavily on the weather. The recent winter weather resulted in a decreased demand for melons. "It is hard to say what the season is going to do. Let's wait and see", concludes Ive.
For more information
+32 (0) 224 208 76
Publication date: 4/16/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: