Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Pear tree bears "red apple"?
Pear trees blossom in March. In Nanjing Agricultural University there are several "celebrity" pear trees that are currently blossoming, but come August they could bear red apple fruit!
New pear variety--"Peaceful rosy cloud"
These marvelous trees were introduced by professor Zhang Shaoling, director of the Pear Technology Research Center at Nanjing Agricultural University and a prominent scientist in the technological systems for pear production in China. He explained that these pear trees will bear fruit that looks like apples, even though the fruit actually is a genuine pear. This is the new variety--"peaceful rosy cloud" that was cultivated in the Pear Research Center of Nanjing Agricultural University. "Peaceful rosy cloud" will have oblate fruit with a glossy skin that shows traces of rosy clouds. The fruit flesh will be tender and juicy with a sweet and sour taste. Whether on the outside or the inside, this fruit resembles an apple.
This kind of pear with rosy skin is still relatively rare in China. It is mainly distributed over the highlands of China's northwest and southwest. The Research Center tried to bring red pears to Nanjing many years ago, but the weather conditions were not suitable. It rained too much and there was insufficient sunlight. The trees produced fruit, but it lacked the characteristic red skin. The taste was also too sour.
Publication date: 3/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: