Job offersmore »
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Strafrutta trades high-quality fruit
One of the leading wholesalers in Fondi has reached its 20th anniversary thanks to Mimė Stravato, who passed on to Marco and Pino as well as Marialucia and her husband Roberto the experience and knowledge needed to establish a company destined to make a difference. All products commercialised by Strafrutta are closely monitored from sowing to sales.
Above: Pino Stravato
"We choose our growers according to the soil and weather conditions in the production area. We only harvest the sweetest, flavourful and most genuine fruit and, once the sorting phase is over, freshness and storage become our priority. This is how we managed to stand out on the domestic market," explains Pino Stravato.
"Reading the 'Sugar' brand impressed directly on melons using food ink, it is synonym with sweetness and high-quality. All fruits are excellent (pre-selected where they are produced) and therefore bear the prestigious brand."
What's unique about Sugar melons is that they are commercialised when summer is actually over. The produce grown in the Dominican Republic is harvested in February. Then it's the turn of Senegal in March. The Italian produce (Sicily and Puglia) covers spring and summer. This means Strafrutta's Sugar melons are available all year round.
"Our peaches and apricots are also particularly popular thanks to the care our experts take when selecting growers as well as products. Most of Strafrutta's peaches and apricots are grown in the Puglia plains, where the soil is fertile and the weather is mild for over six months a year. Strawberries mainly come from Basilicata, the leading producer region in Italy where outstanding soil and weather conditions are combined with excellent producer know-how," adds Marco Stravato.
But Strafrutta also trades winter produce such as oranges, clementines, apples, pears, grapes etc. They are all imported from the best producer areas, then members of the Stravato family or skilful employees follow their growth step after step.
"We have always been trading fresh produce, but we mainly specialise in high-quality fruit and premium brands. After importing the produce, we mostly get in touch with wholesaler markets. In the summer, when there are a lot of melons available, for example, we also sell to small retailers in Lazio and Campania. In these areas, just like in northern Italy, our brand has become synonymous with good melons."
Viale Piemonte - I Trav. n 13
04022 Fondi (LT)
Tel.: +39 0771 500134
Fax: +39 0771 500135
Publication date: 3/14/2018
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: